Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have a Sun Cobalt Qube 3 internet/e-mail server. On this server you can make a group (like guest-share) which can be mounted in WinXP as a networkdisk. So all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

File are hidden in WinXP after chmod -R 755 (telnet)

We have a Sun Cobalt Qube 3 internet/e-mail server. On this server you can make a group (like guest-share) which can be mounted in WinXP as a networkdisk. So all clients can access this share with their file explorer.

Yesterday I received an email that one person could not access a certain file in a certain folder. It seems to have to do something with the long pathname (above 256 characters) but I didn't knew that at that time. The only thing I could think of where permissions which were wrong on that share. So what I did was a telnet session (from my home) and as su the command:

chmod -R 755 \guest-share\

After this all files where 755. But....the next day I was called that all files where deleted. They could only see the folder names but the files were gone. So I looked and it seems that when I used the explorer I didn't see the files. But with Commander (which also shows hidden files) it seems that all files were changed to the attributes archive hidden and system. I can't change these attributes with explorer of windows commander. It simply doesn't work.

How can I make all file visible again so that everyone can access these files again?

Since Windows and Unix do not understand each other's
    file systems, there can be unintended consequences
    when you change permissions. I assume the system
    is using samba to create this share. You'll have
    to check the smb.conf file for the behavior of
    the share, but first try to remember what the permissions
    were, and set them back. Otherwise try 777