Hi everybody,

Last night I started my computer and loaded my CentOS 5.2 partition (Windows 7 on the other partition). I was able to login to my account, but was given a gnome error that the panel buttons (i.e. weather, cpu monitor etc) could not be loaded. I then went to restart the computer (probably not the smartest thing to do) and was given some file errors upon shutdown that were related to /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00. After restart I was taken to a shell and ran fsck manually. It seemed to find a lot of bad blocks, so I repaired the /dev/VolGroup00 system and restarted.

At this point CentOS seemed to boot normally, but upon loading of the login screen I get the error:

Configuration not correct
The configuration file contains an invalid command line for the login dialog, so running the default command. Please fix your configuration.

I cannot even log in as root. I get the error /usr/bin/gnome-session: error while loading shared libraries: libgnome-desktop-2.so.2: cannot open shared objects file: no such file or directory. I then went to a shell and ran: sudo yum install libgnome-desktop-2.so.2, but the package was already installed and up to date, so there was nothing to do.

I am therefore stuck at this login screen with pull-down menus and tabs where I can change the configuration, add/remove users etc. So, my question is this:

How do I restore my user profile so I can login....and if anyone has some insight, what caused this to happen in the first place?

I should also mention, this all happened after plugging the computer into a new internet connection. No clue if that's even relevant.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice you can give.

Jason