Find the answer to your Linux question:
Many of you guys know me by know, I use slax on my dell inspiron 1525 becuase the hdd went bad. And my other laptop is dell lattitude cpx. Well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux distro without live cd install

Many of you guys know me by know, I use slax on my dell inspiron 1525 becuase the hdd went bad. And my other laptop is dell lattitude cpx. Well last night I took your advice on getting rid of freespire on it and getting a newer one. First I tried mandriva, but it was a live cd install, something that the lattitude laptop just could not handle as to the cd-rom is a basic drive with no ability to write or read dvd but only cd-r's. And just isnt powerful enough to load everything up, I also tried fedora live install, but after sitting there for a good hour or so I gave up.

To make things worse, that laptop does not support usb booting. Now I know freespire is dead and it does not support alot of apt-get software. But it was good for me because it wasnt live install, but just an install disc.

So my question is, Are there any distro's that just install the system without the live part ? My lattitude is 500mhz prosseser, and only has 24x cd-rom drive.

The Ubuntu alternate install CD is a text based installer.
    Complete Download Options List | Ubuntu

Debian's installation CD is also not a live CD, I believe.
    Downloading Debian CD/DVD images via HTTP/FTP