Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I'm trying to install Damn Small Linux on an old IBM Thinkpad. When I boot with the Live CD, the moment the sound card driver is loaded/installed, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile deafening sound when Damn Small Linux boots

Hi there,

I'm trying to install Damn Small Linux on an old IBM Thinkpad.

When I boot with the Live CD, the moment the sound card driver is loaded/installed, the computer emits a deafening, unending screech (like a digital wail).

I am not going to use audio on this laptop, so I've tried to boot the Live CD without installing the soundcard driver, but could not find a boot option that would do that.

I was unable turn off the sound card in the CMOS.

I thought I might disable the sound card from within DSL, but am not familiar with it and don't know where to look (there is time pressure as my roommates like quiet).

Short of pulling the laptop apart and physically removing the sound card, I'm not sure what to do.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Shawn

Maybe this thread below may shed some light on your problem. Finding Documentation for Damn Small linux can be a Pain.

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Audio fix for old Thinkpads (and maybe others)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks very much.

Since I'm only interested in shutting the card up, and am not going to use audio in the future, I wonder if remarking out any entries in modprobe.conf (having to do with the sound card) would do the trick.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks so much for your time.

Shawn