Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to run a simple program (binary executable) automatically on a TS 7200 ARM board. I know I have to write a script but I don’t know what it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I run a program automatically at start up?

I want to run a simple program (binary executable) automatically on a TS 7200 ARM board. I know I have to write a script but I don’t know what it should contain and where to put it (rc5d.d/ or init.d/ ???).
    I’d be very grateful if anybody could point me out to a rookie tutorial or something like that where I can learn how to do this simple task.
    Thanks!
    /Lupe.

What distribution are you running?

If you're using a desktop environment, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, etc., they can autorun programs. If you aren't, or want it to run regardless of whether the DE starts, it depends on the distro.

Many distro use /etc/rc.d/rc.local or /etc/rc.local for startup scripts. Debian and Ubuntu do not, but you can hack that in easily enough.

An introduction to services, runlevels, and rc.d scripts

Just Joined!
    Hi reed9,

It’s a small micro processor board TS 7200 that has (from what I’ve heard) a very stripped down debian version. But I don't know much at this point...I'm kind of a newbie so please be patient...

If I type “uname -a” I get “Linux ts7200 2.4.26-ts11 #22 Tue Jun 6 12:23:09 MST 2006 armv41 unknown”

There is a "/etc/rc.d/" directory but no "rc.local". In rc.d there are a bunch of rc0.d - rc6.d files and rcS and rcS.sysinit executable.

thanks,
    /lupe

Embedded systems are a bit beyond me, but looking around, yes, it is a custom Debian system.

In brief, those rc0.d - rc6.d contains scripts which run at various run levels. By default, you are booting into runlevel 3.

To make your program run, you'll want to add a script to /etc/rc.d/rc3.d.

Here is some in depth info on doing that.
    Debian Policy Manual - The Operating System

Here is a quicky intro
    Making scripts run at boot time with Debian

EDIT: Maybe useful as well, if you haven't seen it.
    Linux for ARM on TS-7000 User's Guide