Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to create a Linux LiveCD

What is the easiest method to create a LiveCD from a modified Linux distribution like Ubuntu?

Is it possible or practical to turn the system you have that is modified on your hdd into a LiveCD?

Any answers or comments would be appreciated

Kevin

forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Are you saying that you want to remaster a liveCD?

If so, check out reconstructor, or UCK:

Reconstructor - WikiStart

UCK - Ubuntu Customization Kit
    oz

Howdy and Welcome kevin. Not sure what you are asking so if my interpetation of your query is off. Oh Well.

If me. First I would need to have 2 different hardrives in my computer. The second hardrive could be as small as 1 gig. My bios would have to be capable of booting from either hardrive using F12 or something. I would then boot my ubuntu installation and download unetbootin. I would install P7zip-full and mtools through synaptic. I would then download the live iso of my choice.

Then I would open Gparted and format the 1 gig internal hardrive as Fat32. Exit gparted and open Unetbootin. I would pick out the iso I downloaded and point Unetbootin at the internal 1 gig hardrive and tell it to install iso to that.

Then I would reboot. Hit F12 or whatever key is needed to change boot order. And pick my internal drive that I just installed live iso to boot up.

I used one gig as a example because that is usually more than enough room to run a 700 mb live iso. For a Live DVD iso a bigger drive would be needed.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry I guess I wasn't clear enough. I want to turn my current hard-drive partition into a LiveCD that I can distribute to my friends and can be burned as an .ISO file. Any suggestions?

Kevin

forum.guy
    Ok, I'm with you now... check this page for doing that:

Linux Live for CD & USB

I've never tried so don't know how well it works.
    oz

Good to see I'm on the right track, I've been doing that for about two hours now.

Thanks!