Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
There are many browser options. If you want something smaller and lighter than firefox that still has support for flash, I would say midori is good. Or chromium, though not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

There are many browser options. If you want something smaller and lighter than firefox that still has support for flash, I would say midori is good.

Or chromium, though not actually lighter as far as memory usage, performs faster than firefox.

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    You can add a GUI after the install. You said you were having trouble removing GNOME, and I'm of the philosophy that it's better to add just what you need than spend time removing all the crud you don't need.
    I agree. I should have stated without installing GNOME, my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    From the basic install, you can add the X windows system and a light weight window manager like openbox.

So a good fairly minimal install might be (I don't think I'm forgetting anything necessary but it's been awhile)

Code:
    su -
    apt-get install xorg udev hal openbox iceweasel
    Iceweasel is firefox without the branding.
    I've had a read of openbox, and the following paragraphs got my attention:
    Quote Originally Posted by http//wiki.debian.org/Openbox
    Openbox is a window manager, not a desktop environment. Openbox is only responsible for maintaining the windows you open on your screen -- nothing else. That means installing Openbox won't give you easy menu access to wallpaper options, a taskbar or system panel, or most of those other doo-dads. It does, however, give you a framework to build incorporate other programs that do those things -- and usually with a greater degree of freedom over the style and interface.

Openbox can be used alone, without a desktop environment, or it can be used to replace the window manager in a complete desktop environment. Either way is acceptable.
    If I understand this correctly I could use Openbox without X Windows and install a lightweight web browser.

Thanks for the suggestions of the web browser everyone, I'm going to have a hard time deciding. Iceweasel looks awesome but Dillo looks like it'll be really tiny and I haven't looked at the others yet...I'm going to have to weigh up size over presentation. For the sake of 20'ish MB I'll probably go for presentation.

If I understand this correctly I could use Openbox without X Windows and install a lightweight web browser.
    Unfortunately, you do need X to run any window manager or desktop environment. As far as I know, there isn't really a viable alternative to use. There is the smallx project, but it's not something that would be easy to implement yourself.

There is tinycore linux, which uses smallx/tinyx, I believe. It's a distro in about 10 MB, very minimal.
    Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 10MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable

You can use X without a window manager, but for the minimal size of something like openbox, it hardly seems worth the effort.

Window Managers for X
    X Window System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The smallest window manager (still needs X) out there is probably dwm.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It has been a while since I have updated this, I've got some good news...and another question that I'm sure someone here might know the answer to.

I've used Openbox and Iceweasel as you suggested and it worked great. I've installed mingetty and now on bootup, a generic user automatically logs in, Openbox starts and Iceweasel loads. I've installed the Kiosk addon for Iceweasel and now the user has an environment they can't do anything except surf the web. This is almost the exact user environment I was hoping for, all I need to do now is figure out a screen saver.

I've installed xscreensaver without any problems but I need to manually start the program after openbox starts with the command 'xscreensaver -no-splash'.

I've had xterm open and tried running it in this but it appears to lock the terminal window and cannot type in any more commands. I think it might allow another command to be entered after the program exits. Does anyone have an idea how I might execute this command after Openbox starts?

Thanks for your help everyone, this simple little project has snowballed into a very steep learning curve but I've come too far to think about turning around now.

Does anyone know a good video tutorial for bash and the basic operation of Linux (generic)? I'd like to learn more about the different folders and what type of data is held in each folder, eg /etc, /bin, /var, etc also the different modifyers to manipulate what happens with an output.

Thanks again

To autostart programs in openbox, edit the file ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

All you need to do is add a line
    Code:
    xscreensaver -no-splash &
    Save and restart openbox.
    Help:Autostart - Openbox

I don't specifically know of any video tutorials, although there are some linux videos on youtube. There is a wealth of regular old tutorials on the web too.

UNIX / Linux Tutorial for Beginners
    Linux Filesystem Hierarchy

Linux Engineer
    Go with slax: slax.org

Very minimal and very fast.. you can use the scripts to make a live cd of any installed distro too

slax.org
    linux-live.org

slax is modular and you can download the modules you talked about from:

Slax modules: your pocket operating system

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2