Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm trying to retrieve files off a Windows-f&^ked acer netbook. I'm booting into puppy from a usb. I can see the usb mount (sda1) but it can't see the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fdisk -l does not show hard drive..help?

Hi. I'm trying to retrieve files off a Windows-f&^ked acer netbook. I'm booting into puppy from a usb. I can see the usb mount (sda1) but it can't see the the hard disk. I'm not a regular linux user so I'm pretty lost.

Also, plugged in an external cd drive and puppy can't see that either...wtf?

I've tried modding the fstab but that didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Also, I've booted another windows machine with the stick and have no problem finding the hard disk using the pmount utility. So its not the usb.

thanks

When you go into bios on the acer notebook. Does the bios recognise the hardrive inside by giving name and model number? You might have a trashed Hardrive.

This is how drives should show up on a Puppy Linux Desktop. These are mine.

http://i48.tinypic.com/33w14eb.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/t9dxrn.jpg

Notice the sda drives on bottom of Desktop screen. The cdrom won't mount till you insert some media/cd and select open with. Look for Pmount in the Menu and click on it to see what drives can be mounted in Puppy Linux also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    yeah, it recognizes the hard drive in the bios. But I'm still not seeing any drives to mount...

Did you check and see if hardrive was enabled in bios when you saw it?
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I don't know what "enabled" means. In the priority boot menu I see the hard drive there. is there another place to check? Thanks for the info btw.

I own a few laptops. All run different bios. So just a guess here.

Where you see the entry in bios where it lists you hardrive. Is there a seperate column which says page up, page down, use enter to change values.

On my IBM laptop. I make sure the Hardrive entry is highlighted by paging down with arrow key or page down button. Then hit enter. A small window opens up that shows enabled/disabled. If it shows it is enabled (highlighted)
    leave it be. If disabled is highlighted. Then use the up arrow and highlight enable and then hit enter. Hope that is the fix for this.

fdisk -l has always picked up hardrives for me. From internal Hardrives, to Usb Flash. PCMCIA CF Flash (with pcmcia adapter card) and if drive is recognised in fdisk -l. Then Pmount in Puppy finds it and will mount it and open it with rox file manager. What version of Puppy are you booting up?
    I run MacpupFoxy, Puppy 4 Dingo, Puppy 4.31, and LighthousePup Mariner. All those I run can access Windows Hardrives and NTFS Partitions with no effort. Same for DVDROM Drive.. And my gear is somewhat older compared to most members here Puppy Dingo On my IBM A22 Laptop.

http://i48.tinypic.com/166j321.jpg

The mount icon on the desktop is Pmount.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    yeah its all enabled (or at least nothing is disabled). I think its the hard drive since my other machine (a dell believe it or not) mounts the c drive no problem. erg. Thanks though.