Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Restarting tasks ... <7>wlan0: deauthenticated wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:22:75:da:64:c7 try 1 done. wlan0 direct probe responded wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:22:75:da:64:c7 wlan0: authenticated wlan0: associate with AP 00:22:75:da:64:c7 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Restarting tasks ... <7>wlan0: deauthenticated
    wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:22:75:da:64:c7 try 1
    done.
    wlan0 direct probe responded
    wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:22:75:da:64:c7
    wlan0: authenticated
    wlan0: associate with AP 00:22:75:da:64:c7
    wlan0: RX ReassocResp from 00:22:75:da:64:c7 (capab=0x401 status=0 aid=2)
    wlan0: associated
    APIC error on CPU0: 00(40)
    I'm not clear why you posted this section of dmesg?

wlan0 is your wireless card. I thought you were having trouble with your wired connection? Or, I know you're having trouble with your wired connection, because you have no driver for it.

But if you're talking wireless, you have two different drivers loading, the madwifi drivers, ath_hal and ath_pci, and the newer ath5k driver. They will conflict. Madwifi is being deprecated and phased out, but you may find it works better than ath5k, given that you're using a little bit older kernel.

Blacklist one or the other.
    Code:
    su -
    echo "blacklist ath5k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Restart.

I am thinking Arch is Debian based, but perhaps dreamlinux 3.5 de has a few different commands to it ??
    Dreamlinux is debian based. Arch is an independently developed distro.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I'm not clear why you posted this section of dmesg?

wlan0 is your wireless card. I thought you were having trouble with your wired connection? Or, I know you're having trouble with your wired connection, because you have no driver for it.

But if you're talking wireless, you have two different drivers loading, the madwifi drivers, ath_hal and ath_pci, and the newer ath5k driver. They will conflict. Madwifi is being deprecated and phased out, but you may find it works better than ath5k, given that you're using a little bit older kernel.

Blacklist one or the other.
    Code:
    su -
    echo "blacklist ath5k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Restart.
    I am very sorry for the stupid error. I did not notice it till you mentioned it.

for clarity purposes, Wireless is OK.

wired is plain not working at all, i really need help fixing it.

i will black list as you ask, but before I do, is there any need to worry about the new kernel update for a while ?

full dmesg output is here

For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
    Bind socket to interface: No such device
    root@SteveWilliams:/home/steve# echo "blacklist ath5k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    root@SteveWilliams:/home/steve#
    Last edited by SA.com; 02-06-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: error

For the wired connection, as I said, the driver wasn't included in the kernel until 2.6.29. You're running a 2.6.28 kernel. I'm not familiar enough with Dreamlinux to advise you on upgrading the kernel. I believe you should be able to run a Debian kernel without trouble on it, so you may be able to enable Debian backports and install a Debian Sid kernel.
    Info here:
    DebianEeePC/HowTo/Upgrade - Debian Wiki

Otherwise, your best bet is to install a different distro with a more recent kernel.

Linux Newbie
    For the wired connection, as I said, the driver wasn't included in the kernel until 2.6.29. You're running a 2.6.28 kernel. I'm not familiar enough with Dreamlinux to advise you on upgrading the kernel. I believe you should be able to run a Debian kernel without trouble on it, so you may be able to enable Debian backports and install a Debian Sid kernel.
    Info here:
    DebianEeePC/HowTo/Upgrade - Debian Wiki

Otherwise, your best bet is to install a different distro with a more recent kernel.
    I'll be running DreamLinux 4.0 DE soon, I have the disk already, just waiting for the newest updates to get it running in beta [??]..

Thank you dude, youre a god send.

Any chance you can help me with the kernel update in another thread ? I'm a bit new to this part of Linux.

If I know anything useful, I'll try and help. If not me, I'm sure someone will be able to.

Linux Newbie
    If I know anything useful, I'll try and help. If not me, I'm sure someone will be able to.
    I think this is very easy.

i added the deb line "http://unsupported~~~" to apt.sources, easy peasy, I've done that before, but I need you to explain where the wget q- o- http://unsupported~~~~" line goes.

it looks to me once i add this public key, it will automatically update to xx.xx.30 and i'll be in business.

BTW: You'll need to type the exact file path, I'm a bit sorted on the path thing yet.

thanks for your help !!!!!!

The wget bit just goes in your terminal.
    Code:
    wget -q -O - http://unsupported.debian-maintainers.org/backports-kernel/archive-key.asc | apt-key add -

Damn, I just saw some other information on the Debian Wiki.

atl1c status

Although atl1c is present in 2.6.30, it needs patches present in Linus's git branch to work.

The upstream kernel maintainers have been contacted to add these atl1c patches to the stable (2.6.30) branch so we expect a sid kernel release to include these shortly, and a backport for Lenny should follow sometime after that.

notes

The 2.6.30-5 kernel will cause the Ethernet device to disappear (hardware crashing) you have to take out the battery to get the Ethernet device working again. The Ethernet device works fine with the 2.6.31-rc5 kernel.
    So you'll actually need the Debian Sid kernel. I'mhow to run sid kernel in lenny not familiar enough with Debian to say for sure, but I don't think you can simply drop in a Sid kernel to Lenny (which I think dream linux is based on.)

Outside of building your own kernel, I think your best bet is to wait until the Beta build of Dreamlinux is out and hopefully they support your ethernet.

Just Joined!
    Arch isn't Debian based (i'm using it)
    For your problem, i've seen it so many times.
    Your network device isn't a wired device, it is a wifi device (as seen in the dmesg)
    in a root shell do :
    iwconfig
    check the name of your interface (mostly wlan0, i'll name it wlan0 hereafter)
    now type :
    iwconfig wlan0 essid essid_of_your_wifi_network key your_key
    change essid_of_your_wifi_network and your_key accordingly
    your_key is your wep or wpa key for the wifi network. If it is insecure you can remove the key part.
    Now type :
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    and then :
    dchpcd wlan0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast