Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, iḿ still a linux novice yet. i just installed DreamLinux 4.0 Alpha and i have multiple boot error strings. very annoying, to say the least. I have done roughly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Anyone have knowledge of boot error strings ???...

hi, iḿ still a linux novice yet.

i just installed DreamLinux 4.0 Alpha and i have multiple boot error strings. very annoying, to say the least.

I have done roughly 100 installs, not many i guess, but i kinda know my way around DreamLinux installs in particular, i did it right im sure, but i get nfs something errors [and others] at boot.

if i post the errors, can you tell me what they mean or perhaps if / how to fix them ??

plz advise.

Post them, someone might be able to help.

But note that an alpha release is likely to have bugs, possibly many bugs, and you should not expect this install to be particularly stable. It's quite possible that the only fix is to wait for a more stable release to come out.

Linux Newbie

Unstable Horse In My Stable ??.....

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Post them, someone might be able to help.

But note that an alpha release is likely to have bugs, possibly many bugs, and you should not expect this install to be particularly stable. It's quite possible that the only fix is to wait for a more stable release to come out.
    oh. well it runs just fine so ill not bother with it then. [it seems to run ok anyway]

sudo apt-get upgrade [after the sudo ~~update] crashes the install. I get several fsck errors [status 6]

it is lightning fast on the neighbours crappy connection from across the street.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

Question {NOT} Starting SAMBA Daemons At Boot?...

Just in case this peaks anyones interest, Iḿ getting error messages at boot that reads "stariting SAMBA Daemons: nmdb smbd failed!"

"Starting Winbind daemon: Failed!"

"Aumix Will not touch Mixer... Warning!"

Any ideas ?

Samba is an open source implementation of MS's networking system. Allows you to create and connect to Windows networking shares and printer services.

Aumix is program to adjust your mixer for for the sound system.

Neither should be critical errors.

Linux Newbie

Smile Error After Error I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Samba is an open source implementation of MS's networking system. Allows you to create and connect to Windows networking shares and printer services.

Aumix is program to adjust your mixer for for the sound system.

Neither should be critical errors.
    Thank Reed, your the bomb.

I got a few more too, if it peeks your interest.

"Starting nfs common utilities; Failed!"

"f cup couldn't read interface files"

"Starting Winbind deamon: Winbind Failed!"

Off Topic: Speaking of Starting Interface; Joke of the day... Smith & Wesson was the worlds very first point & click interface.