Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm about to embark on installing Linux From Scratch through VirtualBox, but this got me curious on whether or not anyone installs LFS and uses it full time as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Linux From Scratch -- Anyone using it on their daily driver?

Hi,

I'm about to embark on installing Linux From Scratch through VirtualBox, but this got me curious on whether or not anyone installs LFS and uses it full time as opposed to just an educational venture.

I can see the advantages of doing this since you'll know exactly what's on your box, but a huge disadvantage is keeping the thing updated. Is there anyway to setup one of the package managers on a LFS system after it's up and running to help install and maintain packages?

Thanks for any insight and take care,

Sam

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    this got me curious on whether or not anyone installs LFS and uses it full time as opposed to just an educational venture.

I can see the advantages of doing this since you'll know exactly what's on your box, but a huge disadvantage is keeping the thing updated. Is there anyway to setup one of the package managers on a LFS system after it's up and running to help install and maintain packages?

Thanks for any insight and take care,

Sam
    Welcome to the forums!

I think you'll find that the huge majority of LFS users do it only for the educational aspect, and for some of the reasons that you stated above. I've never heard of anyone implementing any of the popular package managers into it, but I suppose it could be done with lots of effort.

If you want a do it yourself type of distribution that was designed to be used as a regular operating system rather than a building/teaching tool, I'd recommend CRUX.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

I think you'll find that the huge majority of LFS users do it only for the educational aspect, and for some of the reasons that you stated above. I've never heard of anyone implementing any of the popular package managers into it, but I suppose it could be done with lots of effort.

If you want a do it yourself type of distribution that was designed to be used as a regular operating system rather than a building/teaching tool, I'd recommend CRUX.
    Hi ozar,

Thanks As many years as I've been running Linux I'm not sure why I never jumped in here. Anymore I mainly haunt Ubuntu Forums and Usenet, but with me venturing outside the walls of Canonical I figured I'd find a forum that's more heterogeneous.

Yeah, my main goal is to build Linux from the ground up to see how it ticks, but I wasn't sure what type of box I'd have in the end which is what prompted my question. I've used Linux for a better part of 15 years now, but short of recompiling the kernel as needed I've never really dug that deep under the hood. I figured if the product of my effort yielded a solid box it would be nice to use that as a base system, but the management aspect of it would be a nightmare. But honestly Ubuntu is doing me well on my laptop (primary system) and server, so I'll probably keep LFS in VirtualBox.

As for CRUX, I hadn't heard of that so thanks for the tip... I'm working on a presentation for our LUG that demos various distros, and this might be one to add to the list.

Take care...

Sam

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close