Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Compaq Presario CQ40-126AX Broadcom Wireless Card. Recently i've downloaded Backtrack 4 and boot from USB. I cannot connect to the internet using wireless connection. I've tried google to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Broadcom Wireless Problem

I'm using Compaq Presario CQ40-126AX
    Broadcom Wireless Card.
    Recently i've downloaded Backtrack 4 and boot from USB. I cannot connect to the internet using wireless connection. I've tried google to find solutions but failed.
    I've downloaded the Broadcom Hybrid driver but still got the same problem.When i type this command in the konsole "ifconfig wlan0 up" i get an error "ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device"
    Anybody can help me with this problem? I'm very new to Linux, trying to get away from Windows. Hope someone can help me to solve this problem.

Backtrack is probably not the best place to start, since it is a niche specialty distro and not meant as a general purpose desktop.

Anyway, please read the wireless setup sticky.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info. I will give it a try soon.

I have tried other distros too but none seems to be working for the wireless. Sabayon 4 is my personal fav, it got lots of stuff and a nice interface.
    Will the NIC settings/driver for each of these distros differ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    With the exception of a couple of Broadcom cards supported by the new open firmware for wifi project, notably the bcm4306 and 4318, which Fedora 12 supports, no distro will work with your wireless card out of the box.

Some cards need the b43 driver, which pretty much all distros have, but also require extra non-free firmware, which needs to be installed; some cards need Broadcom's wl driver, also non-free.

Just Joined!
    huh... i think its time to get a new machine. I'm thinking of getting one from alienware. what is the best wireless card in the market?