Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was trying to install kile so I downloaded the file : kile-2.1b3.tar.gz in a directory that I called kde and the extracted all its files into a folder called ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Installation of Kile for Scinetific Linux and the cmake command

I was trying to install kile so I downloaded the file : kile-2.1b3.tar.gz
    in a directory that I called kde and the extracted all its files into a folder called kile-2.1b3
    so now I have \home\kde\kile-2.1b3

The next steps of the instructions were to:
    First change to the kile-2.1b3 directory
    cd kile-2.1b3
    Then create a build directory and configure the build system:
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/kde -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Debug"
    This will install Kile into the directory $HOME/kde later on.

So I got to the point where I type cmake and I was getting an error that the command was not found. So I was wondering whether anyone had any idea on where I'm going wrong.

Many Thanks.

I

First thought, do you have cmake installed?

Just Joined!
    No I haven't ... I thought it was just a command.
    I've now downloaded cmake-2.8.0.tar.gz . Could you please let me know what I need to do next?
    Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    First off, you should almost always default to using packages from the official repositories when possible, followed by packages from trusted 3rd party repositories.

S.L., along with other RHEL5 clones, use yum for package management. So you should simply be able to do (presuming an internet connection)
    Code:
    su -
    yum install cmake
    For building packages, you may need other development tools as well, such as the GNU compiler, gcc. (Still as root)
    Code:
    yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
    You might also check to see if kile is in the repos
    Code:
    yum search kile
    Getting started with the yum package manager | Linux and Open Source | TechRepublic.com

So I took a look at the kile homepage. You will not be able to build the package you have, or at least it would be a lot of work. kile 2.1 beta 3 requires KDE4 libraries, which Scientific Linux doesn't yet have.

The package you actually want is kile 2.0.3. I have no idea what desktop Scientific Linux uses by default. If KDE, installing the development tools and cmake should be all you need. If GNOME, then you'll also need to install kdelibs and qt (which should be pulled in by kdelibs).

Linux Guru
    It looks like kile can be installed using the DAG repository. Since SL is a customized version of RHEL, you should be able to use corresponding RHEL repositories.

DAG: kile RPM packages for Red Hat, CentOS and Fedora

I wouldn't just download the kile rpm. I would suggest adding the DAG repository to your system, and let YUM do the installation of kile and any needed dependencies.

DAG: Frequently Asked Questions
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-05-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: changed 'apt' to 'YUM'
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Thank you everyone. I managed to install a different ( and I think older) version but it seems to work!