Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK. So I am running Windows 7 for free compliments of Microsoft technet. My 180 days was going to expire in 2 days. So I reinstalled it. Of course this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question [SOLVED] Nag Screen: Unable to resolve Host....

OK. So I am running Windows 7 for free compliments of Microsoft technet. My 180 days was going to expire in 2 days. So I reinstalled it.

Of course this trashes the MBR, so I reinstalled DreamLinux 4.0 Alpha.

Now, just like om my customers box I get a nag screen that says "unable to resolve host" [Joe Trucker] or on 4.0 [my name].

I scoped the /etc/hosts & it looks good, the name is up there at the top and both get on the net just fine. But that nag screen at boot really annoys the hell out of me and I feel like a total ameture that I dunno how to fix it.

I think the problem might be that both installs [3.5 & 4.0 Alpha] have the same user names as Root and User. Albeit Root name is [ex.] Joe Trucker & User name is joe.

Any help ?

Linux Newbie

Cool Unable to resolve Host....

Quote Originally Posted by SA.com View Post
    OK. So I am running Windows 7 for free compliments of Microsoft technet. My 180 days was going to expire in 2 days. So I reinstalled it.

Of course this trashes the MBR, so I reinstalled DreamLinux 4.0 Alpha.

Now, just like om my customers box I get a nag screen that says "unable to resolve host" [Joe Trucker] or on 4.0 [my name].

I scoped the /etc/hosts & it looks good, the name is up there at the top and both get on the net just fine. But that nag screen at boot really annoys the hell out of me and I feel like a total ameture that I dunno how to fix it.

I think the problem might be that both installs [3.5 & 4.0 Alpha] have the same user names as Root and User. Albeit Root name is [ex.] Joe Trucker & User name is joe.

Any help ?
    Note: Never ever put spaces between characters in the root un; in qparted during install.

ex: Your Name: Joe Trucker MUST read JoeTrucker or joetrucker [hard to read this way though].

This doesn't always work on DreamLinux 2.2 MMGL but has worked on 3.5 DE & 4.0 Alpha. ~ I tested it on 2 laptops.

Added to my DreamLinux Book, too.

Hope this Helps !