Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have the xfce Weather plugijn on DreamLinux 3.5 [it's another guys box, I now run 4.0 Alpha]. The plug in seems to have installed OK, I think anyway, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] XFCE Weather Plugin Isn't Plugged In ??...

I have the xfce Weather plugijn on DreamLinux 3.5 [it's another guys box, I now run 4.0 Alpha].

The plug in seems to have installed OK, I think anyway, but it wont detect the city. I've tinkered with it a bit and I am a member of the XFCE Development list too but thus far, no real insight has been offered yet.

I guess even though I have an Icon in the tray, how do I verify it is installed correctly, and then secondly, What can I try to breathe new life into my ailing Weather Plugin ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-09-2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: removed msg for mods.

oz
    forum.guy
    It's been quite a while since I last used the xfce4 weather plugin, but if I remember correctly there was something rather tricky about getting it to use your city. Won't it allow you to enter your city information manually if any kind of auto detection isn't working properly?

Unfortunately, I don't remember there ever being much documentation available for it. Here's their website page for it, but there's not much help there:

Weather [Xfce Goodies]
    oz

Linux Newbie

Plug In Instructions Don't Plug You In ??..

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    It's been quite a while since I last used the xfce4 weather plugin, but if I remember correctly there was something rather tricky about getting it to use your city. Won't it allow you to enter your city information manually if any kind of auto detection isn't working properly?

Unfortunately, I don't remember there ever being much documentation available for it. Here's their website page for it, but there's not much help there:

Weather [Xfce Goodies]
    I see that the site has been updated a bit offering a newer version. I suck at opening tar balls, I always get a "No Such File" Message.

I checked in Synaptic, I see 0.6.2 installed so I don't need the special script they talk about. I also installed php-weather something hoping this would allow XFCE Weather to fetch the stuuf I need, but I still don't even get the control panels shown in the screenshot, to adjust the city etc.

I'm not sure what to do really. My familiarity with this Goodie is just not cutting it.

Update:

I have v. 0.6.2-2 installed, so I need 0.6.3 or higher and the API Key to get it functioning again.

So I might as well download v. 0.7.2 and try to get help with the unpacking of the tar ball and try to figure out where to fetch the api Key.

Whew!

Any Help ?
    Last edited by SA.com; 03-09-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Added new info...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I don't know anything about DreamLinux but if it uses or is compatible with the Debian repositories, you might be able to enable the "squeeze" (testing) repo just long enough to get version 0.7.3-2 of the xfce4-weather-plugin installed, then disable that repo when done:

Debian -- Details of package xfce4-weather-plugin in squeeze

Installing using apt or synaptic is generally preferable to installing from source, especially if you aren't sure what you are doing. Of course, there is always the possibility that enabling "testing" won't work for one reason or another.
    oz

Linux Newbie

Thumbs up API Key For Me ??...

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I don't know anything about DreamLinux but if it uses or is compatible with the Debian repositories, you might be able to enable the "squeeze" (testing) repo just long enough to get version 0.7.3-2 of the xfce4-weather-plugin installed, then disable that repo when done:

Debian -- Details of package xfce4-weather-plugin in squeeze

Installing using apt or synaptic is generally preferable to installing from source, especially if you aren't sure what you are doing. Of course, there is always the possibility that enabling "testing" won't work for one reason or another.
    Iḿ about to try that now, If I can pull it off, how do I get the API Key ?

Come to think of it, I thought I had testing activated. Iĺl check that.

UPDATE:

So far 0.6.2 is still showing as the highest v. I need to see if there is a string that goes in "Repositories" to trigger the upgrade. [ie: http://debian.org/weather.plugin.upgrade/xfce 460 main] or similar.

Step #1} [again] I added deb Index of /debian squeeze main to /etc/apt/sources.list [file > Save > exit> Terminal > sudo apt-get update > Enter > sudo apt-get upgrade > Enter Continue ?: Y/N > Y > Enter]

I can see the squeeze repositories being loaded now. I have added this to my DreamLinux Book #5. [Yes, I actually write all this down].

Update #3:

Go to Synaptic as Root [ Open Terminal> type: gksu synaptic] > Search > Type: Weather-Plugin > r.click it > "Mark For Upgrade" > L. Click > Nag Screen: Apply / OK > Then find: xfce-goodies package > "Mark For Upgrade" > Nag Screen: Apply / OK > Apply > Exit > sudo apt-get update in Terminal > sudo apt-get upgrade in same Terminal > Restart Computer > Weather-Plugin shold now be displaying the local temperature.

OK. to display the Temp.:

R.Click Temp. Icon > Imperial / Celcius ?: Imperial > Location ?: [enter your zip code in this box] > Ignore the entire form unless you need to mess with it. > OK > Exit

Noted in the DreamLinux Book #5: A practical guide for noobies and moderate users.

Thank you Ozar for the link. That is how I SOLVED this on my own.
    Last edited by SA.com; 03-09-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: New info: [again][again][again]