Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, i am really a newbie when it comes to linux, ive had this laptop for a while now, and today when i turned it on, the desktop had a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help!

Hi,

i am really a newbie when it comes to linux, ive had this laptop for a while now, and today when i turned it on, the desktop had a black and white striped horizontal background. the only things visible were the search bar at the top and the bar at the bottom, help!

Chris

obv remove the (.) and add http at the start (cant post URLs yet)
    Code:
    i757.photobucket.c(.)om/albums/xx217/chris_gurrell/Screenshot-1.png
    EDIT: Just found out this laptop runs Linpus Linux Lite

Wow, that looks like a Zebra on Steroids.

Ctl+Alt+t to open a terminal oe just open terminal from menu since it looks like you still have a taskbar. You will have to be root and then open your File Manager as root (I don't know Linpus operating systems name for its file manager) you are gonna hafta google that. Rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.confbackup.

Reboot and see if it rewrites you a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. You might get a Display then. This problem nmay be a hardware problem with the inverter for the display or video card also maybe. I know it sux. Looks tough to deal with.

I know in debian you can do a
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    booting up as single user from grub boot screen. Linpus is Fedora rpm based though instead of debian apt based. So I am out of my league when it comes to rpm distros. I'd wait for another forum member that runs fedora or Redhat or Mandriva beofre I would follow any of my suggestions to be on the safe side. Cuz I am not sure renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf will acutally generate a new file unless another member confirms this.

Good Luck and Happy trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

This is a quote from Linux Questions in a Linpus thread dealing with Bad Ddisplay

I have been having the same problem as the rest of you both on the live cd and after installing. To get to a console, press CTRL + ALT + f9 (unusual i know). the user is root with no password. Having looked at the xorg.conf in /etc/X11, i couldn't make head nor tail of it, especially since there isn't a decent text editor installed, only the godawful vi and vim. Just before I gave up however, I thought "why don't I try deleting it and see whether starting X will create a new one?". Bingo, it worked.
    Linpus Lite LiveCD won't start X server during boot process - LinuxQuestions.org
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    ok, well this linux must be a bit confusing, the bar at the bottom has a home button and a hide button on the left and then battery info, wi-fi info etc on the right (no menu), also, the ctrl+alt+t didn't work, but i can get into my files. When i do and try to open some it says "nautilus file manager is not running". Will try to get an image of what the desktop should look like.

EDIT: found one nonimage.c(.)om/files/2008/12/fuglyscreenshot.png

In that thread I posted. Which was started by Linpus users. It states what key combos Linpus uses to open a terminal. Ctrl+Alt+t works for Xandros. Thought it might work for Linpus.

To get to a console, press CTRL + ALT + f9 (unusual i know). the user is root with no password. Having looked at the xorg.conf in /etc/X11,i couldn't make head nor tail of it, especially since there isn't a decent text editor installed, only the godawful vi and vim. Just before I gave up however, I thought "why don't I try deleting it and see whether starting X will create a new one?". Bingo, it worked.
    Like I said. I don't run Linpus. I took of the stock operating system and went with a more recent Linux operating system than Xandros on my Asus EEE PC 900.

You could try making a Linux Live USB. Boot from it and go into your Linpus install and while running live and delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf while running Live.
    A Puppy Linux Live USB would suffice for this.
    USB Puppy Linux Install | USB Pen Drive Linux
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Hi again,

opened a terminal window (used alt f2 and then clicked run in terminal) but when i ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, it said command not found (if i shouldn't have done this i am a major newbie to linux)

it said command not found
    That is something Debian does. Linpus is Fedora based. So that command won't work.

I realize you are having a tough time with this. And that some of my suggestions probably leave you with your jaw dropped. I know. I had to learn the hard way myself. (I am still a newbie in many respects)

I am probably going to be beating a dead horse with this. but here goes.
    Open Terminal again and type in

Code:
    gksu nautilus
    Hit enter. Hopefully you file manager will open (and I hope display on Desktop) as root. Then manauver to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Good luck
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

If gksu doesn't work try

su nautilus
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

You can download a recovery DVD from Acers Site if worse comes to worse.

Acer Aspire One Linux recovery DVD available for download

Just a update

Acer Aspire One Recovery DVD

Shucks, I guess those mirrors are no longer valid. I will search some more.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 03-10-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Maybe?
    Acer Aspire One with Linpus Recovery USB Stick Ghost image Torrent Downloads Bittorrent download source!

You can look through below Link also for a Linpus DVD Image. This is Acers Home site mirror site.

Index of /Linux/Linpus
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast