Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yeah, I admit it, I still got windows. I only use it for my printer now, so I guess I need to just fork over the cash for a Hp ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Windows 7 Themes & Icons layout On DreamLinux 4.0 ??

Yeah, I admit it, I still got windows. I only use it for my printer now, so I guess I need to just fork over the cash for a Hp Printer from Office Depot and Dump Windows forever.

I must say that I like the DreamLinux 4.0 desktop themes & lay out pretty good, but I might as well face it, The picture of the Windows 7 Enterprise bgr I'm using has me hooked.

Any one familiar enough with the Windows files enough to guide me through stripping out the Wallpaper & putting on my Linux Desktop ?

I'd like to also add the desktop icons I have in windows ans make Conky run at start so I don't need to keep firing it up manually every time I restart the computer.

Maybe find a nice Aeroglass theme from xfce-look.org and add virtus designs Aquatint Black to really clean it up.

I know what I want, I just need a bit of guidence getting there.

Any Help ?

Note To Mods: can you add my hard ware profile to my sig & make it readable, then re lock it so I can't edit it ? You get it. Thank You !

Steve

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by SA.com View Post
    Note To Mods: can you add my hard ware profile to my sig & make it readable, then re lock it so I can't edit it ? You get it. Thank You !
    Sorry, but we can't do that because users with less than 100 posts don't have an option in their user profiles for signatures. You can check this thread for more information about how the forums work.
    oz

Just Joined!
    The wallpaper is easy, it's just an image, so find where it is in windows, then put it somewhere in linux, and point to it with whatever changes the wallpaper in your DE.

Icons are a bit harder, technically they're images too so it's a matter of knowing what to copy where, maybe saving it in a different format too. Maybe you're better off looking around on websites like xfce-look and gnome-look to see if someone already made a linux icon theme based on windows 7.

Linux Newbie

Making DreamLinux 4.0 Alpha A "7" ??...

Quote Originally Posted by trutheality View Post
    The wallpaper is easy, it's just an image, so find where it is in windows, then put it somewhere in linux, and point to it with whatever changes the wallpaper in your DE.

Icons are a bit harder, technically they're images too so it's a matter of knowing what to copy where, maybe saving it in a different format too. Maybe you're better off looking around on websites like xfce-look and gnome-look to see if someone already made a linux icon theme based on windows 7.
    Well. Perhaps. Since I have waited a while for a reply, I decided to give it a try.

I have opened windows 7, found the bgr img path [14 of them] and emailed them to myself.

I already know where these are kept in 2.2 MMGL so they should be the same in the most current version, 4.0 Alpha.

I have read up on adding icons to my Desktop and creating new Icons [thanks to Resa] and I can create much of what I need to make the Icons themselves and the files to make them executable. That should comprise about 90% of it right there.

The part I might need a bit of coaching on is the Commands. Although /usr/bin [or sbin]/app name takes up much of this to make it easy, not all commands are hyphen free for example.

Any help ?

The part I might need a bit of coaching on is the Commands. Although /usr/bin [or sbin]/app name takes up much of this to make it easy, not all commands are hyphen free for example.

Any help ?
    This bit is a little confusing. What commands are you referring to? What files are you making executable?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    This bit is a little confusing. What commands are you referring to? What files are you making executable?
    The commands that create a launcher.

I got that now:

The short cut to this is:

Open Applications [on desktop button] > R. Click > Create File [empty] > Add Name of Button [say Synaptic or Firefox 3.6] > Save > Open with Mousepad [or scite, I suppose] > Type:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Package Manager
    Exec=sudo smart --gui
    Icon=synaptic
    Type=Application
    Categories=Network;

Or another example:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Name=Firefox 3.6
    Name[ca]=Navegador web Firefox
    Name[es]=Navegador web Firefox
    Name[fr]=Navigateur Web Firefox
    Name[it]=Firefox Browser Web
    Name[nl]=Firefox webbrowser
    Name[pt]=Firefox Navegador Web
    Name[pt_BR]=Navegador Web Firefox
    Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
    Comment[ca]=Navegueu per el web
    Comment[es]=Navegue por la web
    Comment[fr]=Navigue sur Internet
    Comment[it]=Esplora il web
    Comment[nl]=Verken het internet
    Comment[pt]=Navegue na Internet
    Comment[pt_BR]=Navegue na Internet
    GenericName=Web Browser
    GenericName[ca]=Navegador web
    GenericName[es]=Navegador web
    GenericName[fr]=Navigateur Web
    GenericName[it]=Browser Web
    GenericName[nl]=Webbrowser
    GenericName[pt]=Navegador Web
    GenericName[pt_BR]=Navegador Web
    Exec=firefox %u
    Terminal=false
    X-MultipleArgs=false
    Type=Application
    Icon=firefox
    Categories=X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel;
    MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;
    StartupWMClass=Firefox
    StartupNotify=true
    > Save Drag Icon to desktop. > Close Applications Icon > Test

I want add the windows only apps to this. will I need to repost in the Wine Section ?

Just Joined!
    if you have wine installed with the program you're trying to run
    Code:
    Exec=wine theWindowsApp.exe
    should work.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by trutheality View Post
    if you have wine installed with the program you're trying to run
    Code:
    Exec=wine theWindowsApp.exe
    should work.
    No I don't have wine [WineDoors in DreamLinux] in yet, but I am very glad you said that cuz I had no idea how to get it to launch.

If you know much about WineDoors config., I can post in another thread.

Nelson does not use /usr/share/backdrops any more so I am not sure where the default theme change button is connected to. I got the theme in the right place but so far I cannot figure out how to change it.

I started to put LXDE in, but I cannot seem to get it to run. XFCE4 crashed, & restarted it [needed reinstalled after several hours of CPR], but LXDE just sits there.

I still have a ways to go yet.

Thanks for helping, I deeply appreciate it. I use Linux 7 days a week, often 20 hours a day, and I really do desire to deepen my knowledge.

Steve Williams
    SA.com