Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Zorin on a 160 GB Sata hard drive as part of a dual boot. The other operating system was Vista. I have since deleted the Zorin operating system. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Zorin/Vista Dual Boot

I installed Zorin on a 160 GB Sata hard drive as part of a dual boot. The other operating system was Vista. I have since deleted the Zorin operating system.

My main gripe was that often I start up my computer and instead of listing just Vista and the Zorin O/S I was given a list of Vista, Zorin and 5 other options that weren't operating system. Often I turn my machine go do something and come back in a minute and when I got back to the machine it had booted up Zorin despite me not selecting it.

Did I make a mistake in the installation process that caused more than just Zorin and Vista being the 2 options for me to select.

Ideally I want both O/S on my machine but dont want it to boot up either O/S without me selecting it and have a list that only lists Vista and Zorin. Isthat possible?

Help would be appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Short answer: yes.

The list of operating systems on boot was probably the Grub boot menu (Grub is a boot manager).

It can be easily configured to either start into an OS after a certain ammount of time during which you have a chance to change your choice, or start immediately, or wait for you to make a choice without automatically booting into an OS.
    The list of operating systems and other options you see in the beginning can also be edited, rearranged, entries can be added or removed, and the default can be changed (doesn't have to be the first thing in the list).
    All of this is pretty easily changed by editing a file called menu.lst or using some GUI program that essentially makes the proper edits for you.

Look google around for instruction on editing Grub's menu.lst, there are countless examples and howtos floating around on the web.
    Last edited by trutheality; 04-05-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: minor additions

You probably want to check grub's version first. The above is true, but if you need further support from here, the difference in configuration for version1 and version two (1.99+) is rather different. Grub version is usually at the top of your screen.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC1989 View Post
    My main gripe was that often I start up my computer and instead of listing just Vista and the Zorin O/S I was given a list of Vista, Zorin and 5 other options that weren't operating system.
    [...]
    Did I make a mistake in the installation process that caused more than just Zorin and Vista being the 2 options for me to select.
    Doesn't look like that. Zorin is based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu adds some special options to the startup menu, meant for service tasks.

Ideally I want both O/S on my machine but dont want it to boot up either O/S without me selecting it and have a list that only lists Vista and Zorin. Isthat possible?
    Please provide the GRUB version, just as jippie says. Also, I think jippie wanted to say that GRUB version is just above your startup menu (``Screen'' is somewhat ambiguous a word.)