Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
/nah. Its like 2004-2005. I did try running Mint on a virtual machine. It worked, yet it wont run when i boot up the computer. No distro I have tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

/nah. Its like 2004-2005. I did try running Mint on a virtual machine. It worked, yet it wont run when i boot up the computer. No distro I have tried works. Well actually dreamlinux worked once, but now nothing works.

I have a 2003 machine and I had to set IDE Mode for SATA in BIOS. None of Linux distro had any problem in that machine after that.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Okay, yet that does not answer my question. I reset BIOS to defualt settings, and it didn't work... My friend who also has a Pavillion asked me to install linux on his computer, but that also didnt work. I get kernal panics and the error mentioned in the first post.
    I've tried various distros, fixes, etc. I can't get it to work...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by kilmargames View Post
    Okay, yet that does not answer my question. I reset BIOS to defualt settings, and it didn't work... My friend who also has a Pavillion asked me to install linux on his computer, but that also didnt work. I get kernal panics and the error mentioned in the first post.
    I've tried various distros, fixes, etc. I can't get it to work...
    It's an HP control-freak thing! (Really!) I'd eliminate, in order, testing after each: 1) any trace of a windows install on the HD; if this doesn't work, 2) reflash the BIOS (e.g. with FreeDOS -- see sidux manual for how2 with usb stick). The engineers at HP are very paranoid & possessive (I worked there once). If these don't work, trash it and put one together yourself!

Just Joined!
    So it appears as if I have the latest version of my BIOS... I did get this month's copy of Linux Format (I love the magazine) and booted up the DVD. I got SliTaz to work, yet when I tried to install it... It gave me an error about something G-Zip. So I don't know why SliTaz works but none others do... I suppose I could try another one. In fact I'll do that now.

Just Joined!
    Uh. Well just an update on this... I tried to install Absolute (based off of slackware), and the installation went perfectly, but now it will not load at all.
    I have no idea what the problem could be, my friend suggested a hardware issue, but both a USB boot or a Wubi install do not work...
    Please can you help?

The only thing I would do at this point, only after you have searched the BIOS and tried different settings.
    I'd start removing components one by one, starting with the network cards, sound cards, cdroms/dvd drives, Hard drives.....use a LiveCD for that trick....until you get somewhere. I'm betting that you have something on your machine that Linux just does not like at all.
    Did you try using any of the boot codes? ACPI=off and so forth?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
    is your hard drive a sata drive?
    some newer computers have a mode setting in the bios for the sata drives
    and needs to be set to Ide. mode I have found this annoying detail in a lot of laptops.
    Did you try this? Any results?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Yeah. I did use ACPI=off...
    I do remember now having a distro on this computer a while back. Someone deleted the boot folder and stuff so i was booting off a cd for a while... But now nothing will install... I did fix the boot... Now the Lilo install from Absolute messed up... So gotta fix that again.
    Actually I just was able to boot TinyCore but really its not all that useful... I'm thinking of Mint or Ubuntu to use.

Linux Newbie
    So I'm confused;

You got past your boot time hardware error using SliTaz and after removing your video card? What else did you do to solve your issue? Are you able to now use that solution with Mint?

Are you dual-booting or performing a clean install of Linux? If you're dual booting, which Windows OS co-exists?

If you're using Vista or 7, are you using the built-in Windows partition editor to shrink your windows partitions and create the ones you need in Linux?

I'm not too experienced with LiLo, but did you install to the MBR of the first hard disk or to another location?

I know that I did have issues one of the two times I tried LiLo and now I only use GRUB, as a personal preference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast