Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I finally managed to install the Damn Small Linux on my vintage laptop, but now I have some problems with it: I wanted to install synaptic, and also aptitude. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with damn small linux

Hello,

I finally managed to install the Damn Small Linux on my vintage laptop, but now I have some problems with it:

I wanted to install synaptic, and also aptitude. But in both cases I get this error: "The following packages have unmet dependencies: .. .. libapt-pkg-libc6.2-3-2-3.2" and next line "E: Broken packages".

If I run apt-get install libapt-pkg-libc6.2-3-2-3.2 , it reports "selecting apt instead of libapt-pkg-libc6.2-3-2-3.2", and then "apt is already the newest version".

What's happening here? I have no clue from what to start.

I haven't ran Damn Small Linux for a long time now so I have forgotten certain things. I never used synaptic in Damn small linux either when I did. Just apt or the MYDSL which is built into Damn Small Linux.

apt-get( - Linux man page

Installing programs for damn small linux is actually damn simple,

get the .dsl program install files from damnsmalllinux.org.

I don't know how these are meant to be used, but I learnt that these .dsl files are actually .tar.gz files, with absolute paths defined!

so, to install I did this:
    $ mv <file>.dsl <file>.tar.gz
    $ cd /
    $ sudo tar zxvf <file>.tar.gz

and all the installs were fine without a glitch
    And finally see if this will work
    first as root in terminal (do not use the # symbol as that just shows you are root user)
    Code:
    #dpkg-restore
    then

Code:
    #apt-get install synaptic
    Also. DSL does not have native support for Debian packages, it has it's own extension system
    called MyDSL. Though some Debian Packages install Ok. It can be a pain in DSL though.

Damn Small Linux, MyDSL Repository

If nothing else works for you. go to Internet and Network conections in above link and and look for the synaptic package in there. I don't think aptitude is available for DSL but I aint sure.

Good Luck with it.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 04-16-2010 at 04:15 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home