Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Okay, first of all I'll admit I'm clueless here, so much so that I dont even know what questions to search for to get an answer. Here goes. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I need the most basic of help in installing Yoper :-p

Hey
    Okay, first of all I'll admit I'm clueless here, so much so that I dont even know what questions to search for to get an answer.
    Here goes.
    I'm installing Yoper.
    Im using a spare 20gig drive I have

1- How EXACTLY do I set up the partition table? I how do I format the root drive, the home drive and the swap partition? (do I want a home drive)

2- where do I put lilo? in /home, root, or swap?

3-Is there a step by step guide to installing yoper anywhere?

yoper requires no installation guide of any type. it is rather self explanatory...
    as to the matter of a home partition, it really depends on what you're going to be using this system for. how many users are going to be using this box
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!

re

If you have less then 256 mb ram then you need a swap. if you have more then that you dont even need a swap!
    If you have less then that much ram then you want to have about 128MB swap space or more. all the way upto 512MB swap space. less ram then more swap!in fact if you have more then 256 mb ram then having swap might slow your system down
    EXACTLY you want to make it like this.
    If you have > 256MB ram then put / at 8 gigbytes and /home for the rest.(you dont have to have a home but i think its useful. i use one...)
    If you have < 256MB ram then put at least 256MB for swap, 8 gigs for / (root) and the rest for /home.

lilo can be put anywhere but most people put it in the MBR (first section of hard drive). if it askes you to put it on the HDA or what you installed you yoper system on, just say yes. (it askes that normally) that way you wont have to put it anywhere manually.

As for the step by step im not sure.

I hope that helps!! YOPER is the best linux ive ever used. ive used 12 and counting!
    P.S. as far as my knowledge goes im correct on everything, but if im not PLEASE correct any errors!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: I need the most basic of help in installing Yoper :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing_Priest
    I how do I format the root drive, the home drive and the swap partition? (do I want a home drive)
    Opps forgot one. ive never formatted my drive, when you install a new system and make the partions yourself it automatically formats for you. but if you have a partition layout already setup (for example, you had mandrake and your partition setup was fine then you just format the alrady made sections) that you want to use, then you right click on it and check the format. or you can click the format button on the toolbar.