Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by apemax does any one know how long it takes? The last time I installed Gentoo, it took a number of hours to install the base system even ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by apemax View Post
    does any one know how long it takes?
    The last time I installed Gentoo, it took a number of hours to install the base system even for a really fast computer. Crux would be slow, like Gentoo. Arch would probably be quicker if you want to try it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'd say for a day-to-day system, go with Debian netinstall, that's what I start out with on every new machine nowadays.

If you just want to set up a simple one-task system, check out TinyCore.

Tip:
    As for the Fn + volume keys, did you try to install tpb (program to use the IBM ThinkPad(tm) special keys) from aptitude?
    Worked for me on a ThinkPad T60

Just Joined!
    Hello, try Tiny Me, they don't come much smaller, or easier to load, with with lots of options later on if you need to expand a bit.
    Do not be put off if the wifi does'nt work its a linux thing, from my experience it rarely does first time, but there are lots of workarounds on this and many other linux sites. You do not mention what you need it for?. but good luck, delta bravo.

I agree with Ozar on Crux. It fits most of your requirements. The only one I don't know about is installing without burning a CD. I'm sure there is a way to get the iso "burned" to a usb stick for installation but have never done this.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The last time I installed Gentoo, it took a number of hours to install the base system even for a really fast computer. Crux would be slow, like Gentoo. Arch would probably be quicker if you want to try it.
    Gentoo console mode-only is what you have at the end of the stage3 install and latest portage snapshot tar-ball plus:
    • set the timezone
    • emerge grub gentoo-sources
    • editing /etc/fstab to mount your partitions (created prior to stage3 tar-ball and current portage tarball)
    • compile the kernel (make menuconfig, make bzImage, make modules_install, cp /arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel)
    • installing grub

45 minutes if you already have the stage3 and portage tar-balls down loaded and ready to use.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I agree with Ozar on Crux. It fits most of your requirements. The only one I don't know about is installing without burning a CD. I'm sure there is a way to get the iso "burned" to a usb stick for installation but have never done this.
    Google search for "unetbootin", both Linux and Windows versions used to put a liveCD onto a flash drive.

The unetbootin web presence: UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Just Joined!
    You do not mention what you need it for?
    well so i have a command shell linux so i can get more used to it.
    i had a look at the installation guide for Crux and when you install Lilo as the bootloader does that install Lilo to the mbr?
    also do you know how long Crux would take to install?
    Google search for "unetbootin", both Linux and Windows versions used to put a liveCD onto a flash drive.

The unetbootin web presence: UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    yeah i've used that before so that should work.
    Gentoo console mode-only is what you have at the end of the stage3 install and latest portage snapshot tar-ball plus:
    set the timezone
    emerge grub gentoo-sources
    editing /etc/fstab to mount your partitions (created prior to stage3 tar-ball and current portage tarball)
    compile the kernel (make menuconfig, make bzImage, make modules_install, cp /arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel)
    installing grub

45 minutes if you already have the stage3 and portage tar-balls down loaded and ready to use.
    yeah but would that be the same on my pc specs?
    I'd say for a day-to-day system, go with Debian netinstall, that's what I start out with on every new machine nowadays.

If you just want to set up a simple one-task system, check out TinyCore.

Tip:
    As for the Fn + volume keys, did you try to install tpb (program to use the IBM ThinkPad(tm) special keys) from aptitude?
    Worked for me on a ThinkPad T60
    yeah i already tried that still didn't work. but thanks.

oh and my pc doesn't have wi-fi.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by apemax View Post
    i had a look at the installation guide for Crux and when you install Lilo as the bootloader does that install Lilo to the mbr?
    also do you know how long Crux would take to install?
    Yes, you can choose the MBR as an option for the installed LILO bootloader.

Tire required for CRUX installation would depend on your hardware speed, and your ability to follow installation instructions successfully. I'd count on it taking at least a couple of hours for a first time installation attempt. Maybe someone else can narrow that figure down a bit for you.
    oz

The CRUX install really only takes a matter of minutes after the target partition(s) are formatted and mounted. But then you have to chroot into the environment and do some configurations and kernel compilation which can take a while, especially with a first attempt. Once your kernel is compiled and fstab, net connection and a few other files are configured, you can begin updating and installing packages via CRUX ports.

Instructions for installing either Lilo are Grub can be found in the handbook along with all else.

CRUX is definitely a "hands on" distro in the beginning and requires a lot of time and patience. Eventually, you wind up with a system that is responsive, fast and fun.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Once you get you files edited and your kernel configured, the compile time for CRUX will still probably take a couple of hours. But after that, you'll have a machine that is blazing fast and truly responsive!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast