Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
i just thought of something the computer that i want to install to only has usb 1.1 so that would make it go slower seeing as thats the only thing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i just thought of something the computer that i want to install to only has usb 1.1 so that would make it go slower seeing as thats the only thing i can install it from?

also when you install slackware does that give you the option to install grub or not?
    one other thing when you install slackware can you install it to partitions that are already there? without it's partitioning tool partitioning the hard drive.

the reason i ask about slackware is that i have it on cd that was with a book that i got from the library. so it would be fairly easy to install it.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by apemax View Post
    also when you install slackware does that give you the option to install grub or not?
    one other thing when you install slackware can you install it to partitions that are already there? without it's partitioning tool partitioning the hard drive.
    Slackware used to always use LILO as the bootloader, but the GRUB package might be offered on the installation disks now, although I'm not sure if it actually offers the option to use it during the installation, as it's been a few years since I last installed it.

Yes, you can use pre-prepared partitions for installing Slackware. That method actually works out better/easier for lots of users.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Slackware used to always use LILO as the bootloader, but the GRUB package might be offered on the installation disks now, although I'm not sure if it actually offers the option to use it during the installation, as it's been a few years since I last installed it.

Yes, you can use pre-prepared partitions for installing Slackware. That method actually works out better/easier for lots of users.
    the version of slackware on the cd i have is 11.0 and the book came out in 2007. if you chose to install LILO would it install it to the mbr or would it install it to the partition?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if you chose to install LILO would it install it to the mbr or would it install it to the partition?
    You'll have the option of where you want it installed.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    sorry for the late reply i forgot. ahh... ok. i think i might try slackware. it'll probably be the easiest to install seeing as i already have it on a cd. thanks for all the help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3