Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i am looking for a linux disrto that: 1: is only a base install, like you only get the minimal amount of software needed to run ie: only a command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trying to find a distro.

i am looking for a linux disrto that:

1: is only a base install, like you only get the minimal amount of software needed to run ie: only a command shell, no gui, no other software.
    2: that will run fairly well on only 128MB of ram.
    3: that you don't need to burn any cd's to install it.
    4: that doesn't automatically install any bootloader to the mbr.
    5: that fairly small.

i don't know if such a thing exists and before you say try dsl i am going to.

Debian Netinstall is a perfect candidate. Minimal distro with basic packages only and you can add whatever you want anytime.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Give Arch Linux a try...

Arch Linux - Downloads
    Make mine Arch Linux

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Arch, Crux, Debian, and Gentoo all offer an easy base system install that is minimal, then you can add to it whatever you want or need.
    oz

Along with the suggestions from everybody else... you might give a look to a minimal Slackware install.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I'd go with the business card edition of Debian if size is an issue. You can use apt-get to install whatever other software you want on it but you will need a CD to install it and it and I don't know how to install Linux without touching the MBR. When I want to leave a pristine copy of windows on a machine but want to try it with Linux, I remove the hard drive, put it in an anti-static bag, label it accurately and put another hard drive into the machine. If I'm just experimenting I leave the hard drive in place but unplug it and temporarily plug its cables into another drive which I prop up one way or another to hold it in place while I'm experimenting. Sounds like a 4 GB drive would be fine for your purposes and just about any computer shop should be able to sell you a used one for under $10. Heck, if you can't find one (and it's a desktop machine) I'll send you one for $10 shipping inclusive.

Just Joined!
    Take a look at Puppy Linux!

Just Joined!

Minimal Linux

Yes, Puppy Linux is fine, and Browser Linux, based on Puppy, is even smaller, Both can be installed from a USB stick, if that's any help.

Just Joined!
    I was looking for something similar. What I wanted was a base install not a tiny distro. What I was looking for is a up to date installation of almost nothing except stuff required to get my pc booted and connected to the internet with only the command line so I can install on the software I want. Debian netinstall and archlinux both seem to fit the bill very well.

There could be s similar base install method with other distro's as well but the 150MB debian-504-i386-netinst.iso is what I ended up getting. Archlinux seemed to be a bit bigger.

Just Joined!
    wow that a lot of reply's. well i have already had debian on this computer but the problem with that was neither the fn keys or the volume keys worked. so i was trying to find one the would work on it.

What I wanted was a base install not a tiny distro. What I was looking for is a up to date installation of almost nothing except stuff required to get my pc booted and connected to the internet with only the command line so I can install on the software I want.
    yeah that's what i mean. i had a look a Gentoo but i'm not sure how long it would take to install the minimal install seeing as you compile it. does any one know how long it takes?

oh and here's my pc specs:

IBM R40e 2684 L9G
    2.4GHz Intel celeron processor
    128MB ram
    ATI radeon 330M 16MB integrated
    30GB hard drive
    DVD rom drive

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast