Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please only reply if you have experience using the distribution you are suggesting. Thank you This might be an oxymoron but what is the most stable rolling release? Would it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is the most stable rolling release?

Please only reply if you have experience using the distribution you are suggesting. Thank you

This might be an oxymoron but what is the most stable rolling release? Would it Debian testing, PCLinuxOS, sidux, or something else?

Iím looking for a rolling release that doesnít focus on the latest and greatest but on providing a good over all user experience. So it would need to focus on stability, ease of use, and functionality. Is that even possible or am I asking for too much?

Anyway Iíve been using PCLinuxOS in a Virtualbox and it seems ok but sins Ubuntu is my main OS I miss the repository I get from a Debian base distribution.

Thank you
    Dan

PS I have done a lot of googling to try to find answer on my own but I really haven't found much other then reports saying that PCLinuxOS is one of the more stable rolling releases.

See attachments
    Expereience w/both

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    See attachments
    Expereience w/both
    Which one did you like better and how long did you use them?

Began with sidux and did the most studying there. Learned I needed to know more about binaries. A small background in PERL and s proprietary Macro Language helped when I switched to antiX a few months later. I understood a little better how things worked, then (just a month or so ago).

I am unemployed and spend at least 40 hours a week using Linux. This gives me opportunity to learn more readily than those who must work for a living. Not that I'm really geekily-inclined, but quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality, is what I'm saying.

The two distros went together and complemented each other, in my experience. The smxi developer works closely with the antiX "team" and once worked for sidux (which split off from kanotix), so the Debian cutting edge is closely interrelated, it seems. anticapitalista is the Patrick Volkerding of antiX, so to speak. The team, which includes oldhoghead and secipolla, is very cordial and helpful, I find. If you go there, tell them "Hi" from the furry fish eater!

Suggestion: Be pane-free! Run Windoze in the Virtual Box, not Linux!

Best withes!

Just Joined!
    I've only used Gentoo and Arch Linux. Mostly Arch Linux. It in my experience the regular repositories (they also have "testing" repos which aren't near as stable) are very stable. When there is a problem you are almost always warned about it on the announcements.

Gentoo is stable if you know what you are doing and are willing to put in the work. The main difference between Arch Linux and Gentoo is of course that Arch is binary based and Gentoo generally Source based (although both can potentially be either). Arch by default also tends to have more recent packages.

I'm attempting to find out more about slackware-current (which I hear is rolling release) as well as Linux From Scratch (which common sense says can potentially be rolling release if one is willing to do the work). I'm finding that I'm very often having to compile programs from source and often due to the distribution's package manager it's always kind of iffy. Slackware-current potentially appeals to me because I hear it does no dependency checks by default so I would be free to do whatever and resolve dependencies entirely myself. LFS of course by default has no package manager.

Quote Originally Posted by davidm7 View Post
    I

I'm attempting to find out more about slackware-current (which I hear is rolling release) as well as Linux From Scratch (which common sense says can potentially be rolling release if one is willing to do the work). I'm finding that I'm very often having to compile programs from source and often due to the distribution's package manager it's always kind of iffy. Slackware-current potentially appeals to me because I hear it does no dependency checks by default so I would be free to do whatever and resolve dependencies entirely myself. LFS of course by default has no package manager.
    You may wish to go about this in an indirect way by visiting the forum hereSalix OS • Index page. The discussions appear to be focused on issues that may be of interest to you and include lively intercourse between developers of Salix, which adheres closely to its Slackware roots. One of particular interest to you is in General and is entitled "Orphans."

It was interesting to hear of the interrelationships, similarities and differences between related distros I have not yet tried. Thanks!

Only used Arch and Gentoo, of the two Arch has been more stable for me.

I've had great luck with the stability of arch, and when you factor in the AUR (en) - Home you have nearly the same plethora of packages available as you do on something debian based

Just Joined!
    PClinuxOS is a stable rolling release with applications that are updated to their most recent stable version. I haven't used the others but PClinuxOS is pretty stable.

oz
    forum.guy
    No rolling distribution or any certain release of that distro will be the most stable for everyone, but in general I've Arch to be the most stable.
    oz