Find the answer to your Linux question:
So right along i was using the internet fine no problems. Recently it will find and connect to the network but won't work properly. I can't connect to any websites ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] puppy linux internet problem

So right along i was using the internet fine no problems. Recently it will find and connect to the network but won't work properly. I can't connect to any websites or anything. Any suggestions?

You are certain you are connected to your network? If so, what happens exactly? You click on a site from your browser and it just won't go there?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    You are certain you are connected to your network? If so, what happens exactly? You click on a site from your browser and it just won't go there?
    Yea i'm positive it gets connected, when it shows whats being sent and received its very low numbers if any. But when i open up the browser and try to go anywhere it just won't load.

Sounds like it could be a resolve problem. Open /etc/resolv.conf and make sure your nameserver entries are correct. If you are using a router, nameserver can point back to it, or the IPs given by your Internet Service provider. Here's mine as a reference if it helps...
    Code:
    # Generated by dhcpcd for interface rausb0
    search gcatel.net
    nameserver 167.169.142.47
    nameserver 167.169.8.52

search dapperdan
    nameserver 10.0.0.9

Just Joined!
    Thanks Dapper Dan. I am having the same issue as tadcrazio. I know I have an internet connection. I can even download and install Firefox through the built in GUI. But I cannot surf the web with either the puppy browser or Firefox. Do you have a GUI solution for someone who is not versed in using command lines?

Hi joekolb24 and welcome to the forums.

It seems really strange to me that you can get connected and even can download, yet cannot surf the web! I don't know if my suggestion to tadcrazio about resolving was a good solution for him.

I've fooled with Puppy a little but can't remember its network utilities and configuration. This looks like a promising page. Try what is there for your type of connection if see if it gets you connected and surfing.

Just Joined!

Nameserver?

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay, I'm not to sure what the nameserver is suppose to say. It does say :

Search hsdl.ma.comcast.net
    nameserver 68.87.71.230
    nameserver 68.87.73.246

I'm now trying to connect to a verizon network.. perhaps its not connecting? It does tell me my ip so i figured i was connected..

Just Joined!

bump

any idea? or ...

are you trying to connect wireless?
    for a wired connection it needs to be set as dhcp or automatic

second how are you connecting to the dsl modem?
    ethernet , or usb.

I connect via ethernet cable and have no problems at all I also have verizon dsl

If you are trying to connect thru usb it might not work
    also connecting to the usb port on the modem can often temporarily disable the ethernet ports

Just Joined!
    updated versions and i'm all set with that now.. ran into a larger problem will have on new thread.