Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
pclinux os is a very good distro I have it in the gnome and kde version It runs my server very well. But there are many distros out there that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

pclinux os is a very good distro I have it in the gnome and kde version
    It runs my server very well.
    But there are many distros out there that may suit you better
    My collection exceeds 200 distros (these are english versions)

depending on what you want to do with it is the first thing you want to consider
    write a list of what you would like to do and go to distrowatch or linuxlinks.com
    from here you can select a distro and go to its website and review what it has to offer. If you like it you can download the iso and burn it to cdor dvd (remember it must be burned as an iso not a data disk)
    live cd's are a way you can try them without installing to hard drive
    but they will run slower in live cd mode

Just Joined!
    I've used both and I would recommend PClinuxOS over Opensuse. Even though PclinuxOS has a sizeable repository, it doesn't match Opensuse's repository. I would choose PclinuxOS over Opensuse but it's ultimately your choice. Both are good IMO, I don't think that you can go wrong here.

Just Joined!
    One great thing about Opensuse is it's build service. Being a new member I can't post URLS but here

software(dot)opensuse(dot)org/search

Have you tried any of the knoppix distros?
    there are a lot of good ones out there.

pclinux os comes in both gnome and kde I have used both
    zen mini 2010 is nice too.

check out linuxlinks.com or distrowatch.com! from there you can read up and view the sites for the different distros. you can download them from the sites also.

your choice of linux will depend on your personal taste and the type of distro you are looking for.

Just Joined!
    My favorite distribution is Linux Mint. For this reasons:

*very good out-of-the-box hardware support

They added drivers/firmware, who isn't shipped in Ubuntu. So the hardware support is better then in Ubuntu.

*very good out-of-the-box multimedia support

They made sure that your media files, are playable. May it music files like *.mp3, *.ogg, *.flac, video files like *.mpg, *.mp4, *.flv or browser stuff like flash, embedded videos, it works without tinkering.

*one task, one program

They made sure, that for each task, is at least one program, who fit that task. And they choosed the programs, who you liked most! Like Firefox, Pidgin, Gimp, you name it!

*custom made tools

They invented there own start menu, control panel, update manager, backup manager and a lot of other handy tools. And they are easy to use and do their job very well!

*good looking theme

It's polished. And they made sure, that all programs look like this! May it a program for KDE or GNOME, it doesn't matter!

So if you're used to Windows 7/Windows Vista, try Linux Mint!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2