Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I started with Puppy linux due to its small size for download, then went to Linux Mint, now using Ubuntu 10:04 as my main system. I looking to try a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What Distro?

I started with Puppy linux due to its small size for download, then went to Linux Mint, now using Ubuntu 10:04 as my main system.
    I looking to try a new type of distro to get the feel for how others do it. I'll still keep Ubuntu as my main OS. I'm trying to workout the what to choose between, the latest PCLinux or Opensuse 11.2? Or even another if someone has a better suggestion.
    I have the OpenSuse 11.2 ISO already so that would save a download. But not the latest PCLinux.

So I'm wanting peoples opinion on what to go with, want the most reliable one if thats possible as can't be bothered with dealing with issues.

1)PCLinux
    2)OpenSuse 11.2
    3)Other (please explain)

Check out the distro quiz, it can help you find that next distro to try.
    zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks,
    Done the quiz, it gave me 7 options. all but of which used or am using. I might go with OpenSuse. Unless any one has a good reason not too. It was one suggested.

Suse is pretty good. It's been awhile since I have tried it but it was pretty good overall.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Yea I've had a brief look and liked what I saw. Have heard a negative experience from an experienced Linux user. But I know things aren't always the same for everyone.

I think it's very safe to assume that anyone who has tried more than a few distros has had a negative experience with at least one distro. I know I have.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny87 View Post
    I might go with OpenSuse. Unless any one has a good reason not too. It was one suggested.
    Any of the top 10 distros listed in the page hits ranking list at DistroWatch.com are probably a good place to start for new users, and if one of those in that list also comes up for you in the distro quizz, that's a very good place to start. Different users have different reasons for liking or not liking any particular distribution, so the only way you'll know for sure if you like it is to try it.

Hope it goes well and you have lots of fun with it!
    oz

Linux User
    Every distro has good and bad points. Choose a distro that gives you the things you need most and that you are most comfortable with.
    I like suse because of it's easy admin.
    Most distros will have external repos that will supply multimedia/restricted format support.
    Most ditros allow customization of the desktop.
    Try a live version first and see if it grabs you.

Just Joined!
    I would give the new Pardus 2009.2 a try. The reason for that is because it is very userfriendly with all the media codecs preinstalled. So it "works out of the box"

A Turkish distribution developed by a Technical institute. So it are very professional.

It are a international/English version of it to.

pardus.org.tr/eng/

Distro choice depends partly on your machine's limitations and capabilities.

openSUSE is very handsome but I found it bogs down even my newer PC with E8400 and 2GB RAM. I didn't like YUM pkg handler, either.

I'm a performance freak who learned linux much like you -- on ubuntu -- so Debian-based distros will always feel like "home."

I think you'll find the new Zenwalk to your liking. It's like a gentle intro towards Patrick Volkerding's oldest of linux distros, Slackware. If you find it to your liking, then Salix 13.1 would continue your growth curve in that direction ( the support there is great).

Parsix is a step toward purer Debian than Mint or your present distro and worth a try. Then sidux a few months down the road would definitely broaden your knowledge base there. In the interim, one might wish to test-drive antiX or SimplyMEPIS.

Xange is a very usable Fedora distro -- I liked it -- and easier than its parent, I'm told.

Igelle is an interesting Independent distro designed to be usable in all types of hardware -- embedded, netbooks, laptops, desktops -- from i686 up. It comes with a Bible study package, if so inclined.

All of these recomendations are from my personal experience only. Linux is a journey one can take on his own (as I have) or with guidance. This is a good place to ask for it, as the advice you have receive so far is excellent. I hope this helps you, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast