Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a B142 with an old version of Win98 installed. I'd like to install DSL on it. However, it cannot boot from a USB drive. I did find a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing DSL to Fujitsu B142 lifebook

I have a B142 with an old version of Win98 installed. I'd like to install DSL on it. However, it cannot boot from a USB drive. I did find a newer Dell USB external floppy drive. When I connect it to the computer while it's booted in Windows, it detects it but requires a driver before it will work (A drive not ready). However, I need it to boot from the floppy, which I already made and inserted into the drive. Unfortunately, the drive is not activating at all while the computer is booting up and it certainly is not attempting to boot from the floppy drive.

I tried going into the floppy, set diskette drive to be first boot device, but it is still going straight to Windows. How do I get it to work?

Linux Guru
    I have a B142 with an old version of Win98 installed. I'd like to install DSL on it. However, it cannot boot from a USB drive
    Which is why it won't

Unfortunately, the drive is not activating at all while the computer is booting up and it certainly is not attempting to boot from the floppy drive.
    Your bios is what is stopping you because the floppy drive is connected via USB. That is why you can't get your external floppy drive to boot. Tough limitations to install any operating system unless you pull the internal hardrive and install Linux via a adapter on a more modern computer.

How much ram is on this model matters also. Puppy 4.12 retro might be a option if you have the ram and install (hardrive pulled) without saving at the end of install.

Processor speed (P1,P2 ?) will matter also.

Tiny Core Linux may be a option also if you have the ram and is made by a DSL developer. Will have to install with Hardrive pulled also.

Good Luck and Happy Trails, Rok

Edit: This is a touchscreen model or does it have a keyboard. Touchscreen will take some work as far as drivers are concerned.
    Linux Online - Linux Touch Screen HOWTO: Touch Screens on Fujitsu LifeBooks
    Last edited by rokytnji; 07-26-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Just Joined!
    I thought a USB floppy drive came standard with it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close