Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! I've come across a distro which is ubuntu based, with some variants installed, Super OS. What happens is, everything went fine with the installation, but after I'd reboot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Soundless Windows 7 and Super OS Linux

Hello everyone!

I've come across a distro which is ubuntu based, with some variants installed, Super OS.

What happens is, everything went fine with the installation, but after I'd reboot my machine, Windows just went silent. It can play a song or a movie, but just doesn't make any sound whatsoever. I've checked the control panel, everything seems ok.

Also, to make things even worse, this distro doesn't show up on grub.

Thanks in advance,

Linux Guru
    If everything went fine with your installation of SuperOS, that means you can boot into it, correct?
    You reboot your machine to windows 7 and have access but have no sound?
    You checked the Control Panel in what, windows 7?
    Which distro doesn't show up in Grub? Your original statement seems to indicate you can boot into both systems?

Just Joined!
    All right, lets make things more clear. I'm new to this, so bare with me.

The sound problem is fixed. (check!) (just reinstalled the sound card)

My problem now is: Super OS does not appear in Grub.
    I still have installed another distro (gOS) on a different HD, and it's from there that the computer starts. But SuperOS doesn't appear. Which is weird because they are on the same HD.
    I had some problems when I installed gOS. An error message appeared (error 17), but I fixed it by reinstalling grub and changing the HD startup order. Do I have to do the same?

Sorry for the confusion

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I'm not familiar with either Linux distro you have. To clarify, did you install gOS after you installed SuperOS? You are using Grub from gOS?

I still have installed another distro (gOS) on a different HD, and it's from there that the computer starts. But SuperOS doesn't appear. Which is weird because they are on the same HD.
    Your statement above does not make sense to me. You start by saying gOS is on a different hard drive from SuperOS and end up saying they are on the same HD? Which is it?

Cannot mount selected partition
    This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB
    The above is Grub error 17, usually get this error when pointed at an incorrect partition.

Post your partition information. run the command "sudo fdisk -l" (without quotes in a terminal, lower case Letter L in the command). Also indicate to the best of your knowledge, which drive and which partition contains gOS and SuperOS. Last thing, which Grub are you using? Grub Legacy or Grub2. If you type sudo grub in a terminal you should get output telling you if you do not know.

Just Joined!
    I feel very bad for being so confusing.

HD1: Windows 7

HD2: Windows 7 loader; gOS; SuperOS

I installed SuperOS after I installed gOS.

The funny thing is: everything is working fine now.
    Last night, I tried all the distros that show up in Grub, and there it was.
    Since Super OS is a Ubuntu based distro, the name that appeared on Grub was "Ubuntu" and not "SuperOS". That led me to believe that Grub didn't recognized the Super OS.

I feel terrible for wasting your time on such a simple thing. I'm officialy a noob!

Everything was OK from the beggining. Only the soundcard in Windows 7 wasn't making any sound. And that was easy to fix.

Thank you for your patience, and, again, sorry for wasting your time on this.

Cheers!