Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all. I have an old laptop that i'm going to use in a project. I'm going to make a music server out of it that also plays the songs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking dedicated music player/server

hi all.

I have an old laptop that i'm going to use in a project. I'm going to make a music server out of it that also plays the songs true an old tube amp radio and is remote accessible. of course I thought about Squeezebox (because i love the server but hate the way to expensive consoles) or mpd (yes i saw the mightyohm wifi-radio tutorial)

In the end I've chosen squeezebox because it's way easier and has more possibilities that can be accessed on remote.

As for the player I've chosen mocp: smart, simple and console based.

My first question is which distro should I chose?
    console based would def. limit the power I need but that's about it. I already tried microcorelinux but I couldn't compile squeezebox. Then I tried it on ubuntu but I can't let mocp play the stream when the system starts up. (that's my second question)

A 3th problem I encountered is kind off strange. I connected my vlc player (on my computer not the squeezeboxserver) to the stream and controlled the server via browser and it worked perfectly. But when I use a client on the same machine as the server I have a delay of over 40seconds.. which is not normal. Does anyone know a solution for this? At first I thought running a virtual machine that houses the client but then I need to know how to start the virtual machine each boot up + that would double the entire boottime (but would also rule out that my client starts before the server and things the url is wrong..)

idea's please!
    thx in advance

wouter

FYI, you can use MPD with icecast to stream to remote locations.

Squeezebox looks interesting. I hadn't seen that before.

I've done a similar thing using MPD, though just playing through the server, with Arch Linux as the base, no GUI. But which distro kinda depends on you. If you prefer a little more automation than Arch or similar, but no GUI, you can try Debian or Ubuntu Server Edition.

Regarding mocp when the system starts up, the issue usually with Ubuntu is that NetworkManager doesn't connect until you've logged in as your user. If you use wicd or just set your network up using /etc/network/interfaces (Debian systems only I believe), then you can get the network up before logging in. You should be able to autostart mocp, then. If you're using a desktop/window manager, they all have various ways to autostart apps. If not, you can set mocp to start in your ~/.bashrc file (requires login - though you can autologin to the console), or create an init script for mocp. (I think that would work, never tried it.)

I just saw that MPD has built in http streaming support as of version 0.15. Gave it a whirl, works fine, and is easy to setup - much moreso than using an icecast server. You might reconsider using MPD for your needs.

TinyCore MPD

Ubuntu rebuilt package.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close