Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by MASONTX Mint, yes, but I would suggest the LXDE version. Put the icons of their most used programs on the desktop, and they should hae no trouble. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Mint, yes, but I would suggest the LXDE version. Put the icons of their most used programs on the desktop, and they should hae no trouble.
    BTW, guys, Puppy has a "puplet" (Puppy Elite 1.1) that includes screen magnification and a virtual keyboard. For sight challenged, (and seniors), this could be an interesting and effective Linux.

Just Joined!

Smile User Friendly!

I Did Research on this awhileback and i found PCLinuxOS (distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pclinuxos) was the best choice for my elder aunt's computer. Its Easy to install it boots on an old '98 machine she had in like 30 seconds and for the most part it has the general look feel and behavior of a pc. I found that the transition from Win98 to PCLinuxOS was really easy for her. She picked it up in no time and she absolutly loves it. Also it is compatible with linux wine so she was able to run her family geneoligy program for WIN98 in it just fine.

Best Of Luck,
    JL Griffin

I agree, PCLinuxOS is also a good choice. Download and run it, Mint, and any other you would like to try as a live cd, and see which one suits you best.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Mom and Pop Linux

Quote Originally Posted by griffinwebnet View Post
    I Did Research on this awhileback and i found PCLinuxOS (distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pclinuxos) was the best choice for my elder aunt's computer. Its Easy to install it boots on an old '98 machine she had in like 30 seconds and for the most part it has the general look feel and behavior of a pc. I found that the transition from Win98 to PCLinuxOS was really easy for her. She picked it up in no time and she absolutly loves it. Also it is compatible with linux wine so she was able to run her family geneoligy program for WIN98 in it just fine.

Best Of Luck,
    JL Griffin
    __________________________________________________ ___

I had and really loved PCLOS. When the contributors fragmented I used Sidux. But I agree that texstar and the gang have an excellent distro.

What moved me away was the loss of consistent updates and the higher "horsepower" required to use it. A minimum of 512MB of RAM for example. I remember having some hardware issues as well.

What ties me to Puppy Linux is the "Lupu" that uses some Ubuntu packages and doesn't need that much RAM to work well. Runs in RAM after booting the live CD so you can remove the CD and use the drive for whatever.

There are many versions for many uses including "Elite 1.1" with a screen magnifier and virtual keyboard for those with sight and physical issues.

It works on ancient hardware for people who don't want internet; although my P2/300mhz. laptop surfs ok if I don't want streaming video.

And I use it at work as a "netbook" because the battery keeps a charge for up to two hours.

canineloop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2