Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is any way to run Linux on a 14-year old computer with 64 mb of RAM? I would like it to be functional ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

(Functional) Linux on an old computer?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is any way to run Linux on a 14-year old computer with 64 mb of RAM? I would like it to be functional with a word processor, ability to connect to internet, etc. I've looked at SliTaz and Puppy, they seem to be small and effective. Would they work on such an old computer? It does have a floppy drive, disk drive, USB ports, and a Zip Drive. If those wouldn't work, what are my other choices, if any?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecovester View Post
    Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is any way to run Linux on a 14-year old computer with 64 mb of RAM? I would like it to be functional with a word processor, ability to connect to internet, etc. I've looked at SliTaz and Puppy, they seem to be small and effective. Would they work on such an old computer? It does have a floppy drive, disk drive, USB ports, and a Zip Drive. If those wouldn't work, what are my other choices, if any?
    Welcome to the forums!

Puppy requires at least 128 MB of RAM:

PuppyLinux: MinReq

You might check out TinyCore, but I doubt that it would do all you need from it:

Tiny Core Linux, Micro Core Linux, 10MB Linux GUI Desktop, Live, Frugal, Extendable

More mini Linux distro options here:

Mini Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks Ozar- I was looking for a System Requirements page. I looked at TinyCore, and I don't think I would have much use of it because I would rarely (if ever) connect the computer to the internet. Thanks for the Mini Linux Link, and do you know if SliTaz will work on such an old computer?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    do you know if SliTaz will work on such an old computer?
    No, I've never tried that one but maybe someone that has and knows more about it will chime in with some good info for you.
    oz

does it have a cdrom drive? otherwise you will be limited to distros that install via floppy or maybe you could manage to do a network installation on your home network

also, you could potentially plug the disk into another machine and install to that disk

A minimum 192MB of memory is recommended to use the core LiveCD. 80MB is needed for the "slitaz-loram" flavor and 16MB for the "slitaz-loram-cdrom" flavor.
    The above quote is from this link
    SliTaz 3.0 Release notes

Keep in mind, to install "Linux" only actually/technically means the Linux Kernel and the tool chain to compile it with. You can probably install Gentoo or Slackware, but you will not run things like KDE or Gnome. You might be able to install a lightweight desktop like LXDE or XFCE, which is still a little heavy. FVWM is pretty light.
    These are the specs needed to run Slackware and Gentoo
    * Slackware: Any 586 Processor, 32 Megabytes of RAM, 1 GB of Hard Disk Space, 4x CD-ROM (or floppy drive if you canít boot from CD)
    * Gentoo: Any 486 Processor or higher, 64 Megabytes of RAM, 2 Gigabytes of Hard Disk Space, 4x CD-ROM
    Keep in mind, both of these distros will require you to either, A) know what you are doing or B) Learn very fast.They are both Advanced distros.
    And last but not least, you'll want to check out Damn Small Linux...it's pretty damn small but it might be just what you seek.
    Damn Small Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    DSL supports only x86 PCs. The minimum system requirements are a 486 processor and 8 MB of RAM. DSL has been demonstrated browsing the web with Dillo, running simple games and playing music on systems with a 486 processor and 16 MB of RAM. The system requirements are higher for running Mozilla Firefox and optional add-ons such as the OpenOffice.org office suite. It is often used in virtual machines due to its small size and modest RAM requirements.
    Good luck and do let us know how your journey proceeds.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

The thing about DSL is that it's a dead project and very very out of date now.

There's a new kid on the block for lightweight distros, still in development, but looks promising. Well, maybe not new, but the reincarnated Deli Linux, now with the unwieldy name of ConnochaetOS and based on Arch, though rebuilt for i586 architecture. From the website
    We aim for minimal hardware requirements, as low as a Pentium I processor and 64 MB RAM for a graphical desktop. We decided to base ConnochaetOS on Arch Linux, but completely rebuild, since we want to support i586, and replace some packages with our own ones, because of footprint, stability or freedom.

Just Joined!

Thumbs down Been there. Done that.

Does it have a internal CD drive ? ( USB drive willnot do. )

You must be able to boot from the CD drive... or...
    from a special linux-boot-diskette which will read the CD.

No internet
    Without the internet, you will never get it to work.

Just Joined!
    I do have a disk drive, but for some reason it won't work. I need to manually specify the I/O port(s) but I lost the owner's manual, so the disk drive won't read anything. I wish I could get it to work

But sorry for not specifying about the internet. If I directly hooked the computer up to the modem then it should work.

Thanks Reed9 and MikeTBob, I'll look in to those. And Acrizona, why will a USB dirve not work? What if I installed grub4dos?

And what about another form of Linux called CTKArchlive? It claims to run on computers with low as a 400 mhz processor and 64 mb of RAM. It seems to be based off of Arch. Also, due to it's name, does anyone know if it can actually be installed to the hard drive of the computer?

Thank for all the help.

EDIT: And about DSL, I've tried to look in to it and it looks like it would be good but their web site is down. Also, what do you mean by "internal" cd drive?

And what about another form of Linux called CTKArchlive? It claims to run on computers with low as a 400 mhz processor and 64 mb of RAM. It seems to be based off of Arch. Also, due to it's name, does anyone know if it can actually be installed to the hard drive of the computer?
    Not familiar with it, but the CTKArchlive homepage does say it's installable. Presumably that means they have an installer.

So to be clear, your CDROM drive doesn't work, and you are or are not able to boot from a USB?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast