Find the answer to your Linux question:
My puppy boot up says there something wrong with a config file, and doesn't remember my LAN settings. which file, can I delete it and re-establish my machine config file, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Puppy 5.12 startup config error

My puppy boot up says there something wrong with a config file, and doesn't remember my LAN settings. which file, can I delete it and re-establish my machine config file, and how do I stop a repeat? I'm dual boting with XP, on a LAN card which has to be configured on each login by the system, and I'm not sure that the LAN card likes the hot swapping between OS's.
    2.6GHz Celeron, 1GB, 160GB, 128Mb SuSe11.2; PCTV, GBit eth0 on P4PE, 10/100 eth1 <Ride to ride again>.

Need more info. Is this a frugal or full install on it's own partition and are you using grub to boot?

Is this installed inside of Windows?

One thing you can try is the F2 option at grub boot screen. Try

Code:
    Puppy pfix=purge
    Boot option. Kinda guessing here because I run MacPup Foxy instead of Puppy 5.12 and my install is a full install on its own partition booting with Antix 8.5 grub.

Code:
    title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.34-stevo
    root		(hd0,5)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-stevo root=UUID=33d2cb14-08cc-4db8-80c6-771828e68200 ro 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.34-stevo

title antiX at hda6, kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/hda6 nomce quiet nosplash vga=normal acpi=force
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    boot

title MacPup Foxy3 430 full sda7
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 pmedia=atahd nosmp acpi=force
    So not knowing how you installed Puppy makes a bit if a difference. The Puppy pfix =purge boot option will repair any file system damage on a puppy full install. On a frugal install. Deleteing old personal pupsave file you made at end of install and making a new one will fix a frugal install.

Boot option for frugal to boot without loading personal pupsave (you don't want it to mount if going to delete it) is the pfix=ram boot option. You can then make a new saved personal pupsave after booting up.

PFIX
    pfix=ram will run Puppy totally in RAM and ignore saved sessions/storage file(s)
    pfix=<n> where <n> is the number of saved sessions to ignore for a multisession-CD
    pfix=rdsh will exit to initial ramdisk commandline (do not pivot_root∞)
    pfix=usbcard for booting from USB flash drive via USB 2.0 to PCMCIA adapter
    pfix=clean will force a simulated version upgrade (for Puppy 2.13 and later)
    pfix=purge will force an even more radical file cleanup (to fix broken system) (for Puppy 2.14 and later)
    pfix=#debug may help with debugging
    Puppy Linux Community - Home
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home