Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, The "make" is ok. The "make install" got the following error: Code: install -m 0644 ndiswrapper.ko /lib/modules/2.4.26/misc install: ndiswrapper.ko: No such file or directory install: cannot change permissions of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ndiswrapper install failed at dsl with kernel 2.4.26

Hi,

The "make" is ok. The "make install" got the following error:

Code:
    install -m 0644 ndiswrapper.ko /lib/modules/2.4.26/misc 
    install: ndiswrapper.ko: No such file or directory 
    install: cannot change permissions of /lib/modules/2.4.26/misc/ndiswrapper.ko: No such file or directory 
    install: cannot change ownership of /lib/modules/2.4.26/misc/ndiswrapper.ko: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dsl/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver' 
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    Any idea? Thanks in advance.
    -XL

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi there,

That script is reporting the kernel module doesn't exist in the build folder. Can you post the output of the make command here, ideally after re-extracting it so we are looking at a clean build.

Let us know how you get on
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kakariko81280 View Post
    Hi there,

That script is reporting the kernel module doesn't exist in the build folder. Can you post the output of the make command here, ideally after re-extracting it so we are looking at a clean build.

Hi kakariko,

Thanks for replying. I attached the output of the make, which is done after "make uninstall" twice.

Thanks,
    -XL
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Hi there,

It's an odd one for sure. Reading the output of make looks like the compilation worked ok. The only thing is you are compiling against kernel version 2.4.x which (if I remember right) creates kernel modules as .o files rather than .ko files. Can you check if the file /home/dsl/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ndiswrapper.o exists?

If that's there we might be able to manually move the driver file into position. Where did you download the source from? I'd need to check what the make install is doing before I could help you install it by hand. In the meantime though, you may be able to load the driver now (for testing) by doing an 'insmod /home/dsl/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ndiswrapper.o' in the driver directory.

To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kakariko81280 View Post
    Hi there,

It's an odd one for sure. Reading the output of make looks like the compilation worked ok. The only thing is you are compiling against kernel version 2.4.x which (if I remember right) creates kernel modules as .o files rather than .ko files. Can you check if the file /home/dsl/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ndiswrapper.o exists?

If that's there we might be able to manually move the driver file into position. Where did you download the source from? I'd need to check what the make install is doing before I could help you install it by hand. In the meantime though, you may be able to load the driver now (for testing) by doing an 'insmod /home/dsl/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ndiswrapper.o' in the driver directory.

I am terribly sorry for very late replying. I kept trying posting the reply but at each time it seemed success but not really.

There is no ndiswrapper.o at that folder, neither for the .ko file.

In the meantime, I tested installing ndiswrapper at a lower version Ubuntu but with a 2.6.x kernel. The make process did work. I guess it might be because of the kernel.

I don't know if any 2.6.x kernel fits dsl. On the other hand, how to upgrade dsl-n instead?

Thanks,
    -XL