Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried using Package Manage to install a couple of games, and every time I come up with a list of missing dependencies/files, but it says nothing about what to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

missing dependendies and files in Puppy 5.0

I tried using Package Manage to install a couple of games, and every time I come up with a list of missing dependencies/files, but it says nothing about what to do about the missing items. Where do I find them? How do I get them? How do I install them? Totally puzzled! I went to the puppylinux forum, and could find nothing about resolving missing dependencies, so I came here. Any help would be appreciated. Note; Quick Pet works perfectly; Package Manager is a nightmare.

Well, I don't use Puppy, but as I understand it, the Puppy 5 is built off Ubuntu Lucid and you can use Lucid packages in Puppy.

I'm not sure how their package manager handles dependencies, but first thought is make sure you add the Lucid Universe and Multiverse repositories. There is AFAIK an option to select or add those in the Puppy package manager.

If that doesn't work, search the Lucid repos and download/install the necessary packages yourself.

Just Joined!

Missing dependencies-Puppy 5.0

reed9,
    Thanks, I'll try these suggestions. Just a comment: I thought Puppy was supposed to be for newbies to Linux, but the Package Manager requires, when adding a new repository, actions that a newbie is not going to understand. I'm not quite a newbie, but I'm not a geek either, and I personally consider Slackware to be a much easier to use distro. Puppy 4.3 was real cool and friendly, but 5.0 kind of goes over the edge for new users, and some not so new, to Linux. It's a lot easier to just learn the basics of command line, than to try to get under the hood in Puppy and navigate it. JMHO.

I don't disagree. I consider myself in the same category as you, not a computer guy particularly, but have been using linux as my day to day OS for a couple years now, and I think Arch Linux is easier than Puppy or Ubuntu (or Windows for that matter.)

But in fairness to Puppy, or any of the ultralight distros, there's always compromises to be made when stripping things down that much. I haven't used 5.0 and I don't really know what the scoop is with the switch to Woof and building off Ubuntu. Though I've been meaning to see about creating an Arch Puppy spin using Woof, seems like a cool tool.

Looks like one should go here first and download a simple program (Firewall State) to be able to turn firewall off before downloading dependencies.
    Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Firewall status tray icon - firewallstate-1.7

Best wishes, and
    Happy Holidays!

Just Joined!
    reed9,
    Followed your link to Arch linux. That's very interesting!
    I do try to be fair in my estimation of distros. I just simply say what I think and hope that everyone takes what I say as level-headed evaluation and hope the observations are helpful to any developers reading it. I love Puppy. I've used 4.0, 4.1, and 4.3. When I started using 5.0, I was surprised by how complicated it got. I want newbies to start using Linux and stop being taken to the cleaners monetarily by the "other" OS.

Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!

5.0 double

If you check on Distro Watch, you'll see that there are two Puppy 5.0s. The one I'm using says "Lucid Puppy" right on the desktop, not the most recent "Wary".
    I'm also having issues with the ePDF viewer. I use this app a lot, and every time I open it, it creeps further and further toward the top of scree. It's so high up that now I can't access any part of the menu nor any buttons below the menu. Note: My serial modem works just fine on this version of Puppy.
    I thank all of you for your replies, but I've decided to install another OS. Could be Legacy OS or Vector Linux. Again, thank you.