Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Yoper, and I have to say I love the speed However, the system slows to a crawl (unusable!) when I try to compile packages with rpmbuilder... Even ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Performance and compilation

I just installed Yoper, and I have to say I love the speed
    However, the system slows to a crawl (unusable!) when I try to compile packages with rpmbuilder... Even doing 'nice rpmbuilder XXXXX' still renders the machine completley unusable within a few minutes.

Is this an issue with the kernel (performance patches?), or more likley to be a memory leak? I have 256 + 512 swap and I haven't run into this on any other distro (gentoo you can forget that something is compiling)

Cheers.

Steve.

Just Joined!

Re: Performance and compilation

Quote Originally Posted by steve_v
    I just installed Yoper, and I have to say I love the speed
    However, the system slows to a crawl (unusable!) when I try to compile packages with rpmbuilder... Even doing 'nice rpmbuilder XXXXX' still renders the machine completley unusable within a few minutes.
    Is this an issue with the kernel (performance patches?), or more likley to be a memory leak? I have 256 + 512 swap and I haven't run into this on any other distro (gentoo you can forget that something is compiling)
    Cheers.
    Steve.
    I had the same problem with Yoper's rpmbuild. But only with some special packages, usually qt-dependant. Haven't solved it yet, though...

Just Joined!
    changing -j8 to -j1 in the rpmbuild script works for me.

Cheers.

Steve.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close