Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to put google chrome on my laptop but it said i needed a 'root password'. I have never set a password on my laptop or know what it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Problem putting google chrome on linux linpus lite (acer aspire one)

i want to put google chrome on my laptop but it said i needed a 'root password'. I have never set a password on my laptop or know what it is. After pressing enter ALOT it asked me to change my password. But then i needed to know my password to change it. So i then went on the internet and searched how to change it. I found a way. I had to go on the 'terminal' and type:
    sudo -su
    passwd

then it came up that i could change my password YES, oh wait. Whenever i get to this stage it freezes, can anyone help?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

I don't know much about Linpus Lite, but you can download documentation for using it here:

Linpus Download

I'd recommend following their instructions for installing any software that you want to add to your machine.

The root password is the password for the root account in Linux distributions and it's used to gain root permissions for various admin tasks, such as installing software. If Linpus Lite uses sudo rather than root for admin tasks, you'll need to enter your regular user password rather a root password.

I've seen reports from some users saying that Linpus Lite is crippled in many ways, so it might be to your advantage to install a more complete version of Linux if your machine is strong enough to handle it.

Maybe some Linpus Lite users will chime in with more info for you. Best of luck with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    hi! thanks for the advice iam now putting ubuntu ob a usb, hopefully that will work!