Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok i need magor help here guys. well i was able to do the partioning of yoper. Well every thing went fine with the partioning, i installed it and every ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I NEED MAGOR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok i need magor help here guys. well i was able to do the partioning of yoper. Well every thing went fine with the partioning, i installed it and every thing but one thing, IT DONT WORK!!! Well when the boot screen that comes up that ask you for wich OS to use i click yoper right, well it goes to the screen that says yoper loading then a black screen comes up and well it freazes. every thing freazes, the keyboard freazes theres no mouse and its all black. I installed yoper like 20 times and it keep on freazing. I choosed all the formats for your HD and tried both lilo and the other one with a G. I gave root 36gb and my home 7gb, i gave root 7gb and home 36gb. i deleted it over and over again and nothing works. i tried the check iso for errors thing and it says every thing is fine. please help me guys, i'm on 56k and i dont feel like waiting 1 day again to download yoper off the internet again. please help me!

I love yoper its my favorite OS!!!! Some help me plz!!

So your install works fine? Did you install in graphic or text mode? What is your RAM? Did you create a swap space? When you say "it goes black" do you see anything on the screen as it is booting? If so what? Does it hang and then go black? Could just be a monitor problem. What brand is it?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie

ok

Its yoper 2.1. I installed it on graphic mode and also text mode. I got 512mb pc3200 (400 mhz) or ram and my P is P4 HT 2.6ghz (fsb 800mhz) with an 80gb HD (7200 rpm with an 8mb ch) and a 5200 128mb video card. There is nothing on the screen at all, its all black well it goes from black to blackish grey, and there is no monitor problems cause my windows xp pro partion works fine. and my monitor is a view sonic graphics series G71F+ crt. Ohh and the swap is 7gb also.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've never installed Yoper so I'm not familiar with their tools. I see you also use Knoppix. On this box? any trouble with it or do you get a satisfactory screen? If Knoppix configures your monitor to where you like it, try this:

Fire up Knoppix. Open up your favorite editor in Knoppix and go to /etc/X11/XF86Config. Have a look at:

Section "Monitor"

Write down the HorizSync and the VertRefresh.

Then edit your XF86Config in Yoper and change the rates to the ones you wrote down.

I've had black screens before and it has wound up being this type problem. Of course, if you have your monitor's vertical and horizontal rates in a manual somewhere, just type them in.

Linux Newbie

pie

only problems i had with knoppix is that when i install it, it doesn't find my cd roms drive or my floppy. but when i run it off of its cds it does. but knoppix runs great on my monitor no problem with it. and i'm going to try that.

hey do u have aim?

well i'll say just one thing on this..... THAT SWAP IS WAY TO HUGE! the swap should be 512mb on your system with a max of 1 gig but that is too much......as to the monitor problem im to tired to think about that.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Newbie
    Im sorry this is off the topic but OMG
    [quote] Ohh and the swap is 7gb also.[quote]
    That is a BIG swap. Even if I take the server we have with the largest load its only 2 gig. WOW.

Sorry I was just ...yeah

Linux Newbie

hmmmm

well what can i say i got space. But i am going to try to lower the swap down to 256mb this time insted of 7gb.

Linux Newbie

ok srry

ok srry for the double post but i just lowered the swap from 7gb down to 254mb and it still doesn't work.

I think i know whats the problem. See when i click on yoper to boot it goes the a screen that says loading yoper then after that it goes to the black screen.
    Well when i click windows to boot it goes to the screen that says loading windows then the same black screen comes up for like 2 seconds then it goes to the windows boot screen.
    Yoper not going to its boot screen at all, also my keyboard locks up at that black screen to.

Actually with 512 RAM you don't even need the swap. Just turn it off. Heh, I was gonna get to that after trying to solve the monitor problem...

I'm sorry, I don't have AIM. Also, try Googling to find the vertical and horizontal rates of your monitor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast