Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I have been building RPMs for some things I use regularly (and are not in the repository) and I was wondering if it is possible / wanted for me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Contributing packages

Hi.
    I have been building RPMs for some things I use regularly (and are not in the repository) and I was wondering if it is possible / wanted for me to add them to the official contrib repository?

As long as someone is checking them, user submissions should help the package selection heaps

Cheers.

Steve.

Just Joined!

Re: Contributing packages

Quote Originally Posted by steve_v
    Hi.
    I have been building RPMs for some things I use regularly (and are not in the repository) and I was wondering if it is possible / wanted for me to add them to the official contrib repository?
    As long as someone is checking them, user submissions should help the package selection heaps
    Cheers.
    Steve.
    The official path for that is that you need a mentor (someone that hs access to CVS repository and can commit changes to it). After some of your packages are submitted and work, you can talk to Andreas and he should give you an account on the CVS server so you could commit packages yourself.
    Can you make them available somewhere on the we? This way I (and probably some other people) could test them and finally submit them to the reposotory.

Just Joined!
    Something along the lines of Gentoo's bug tracker (which has a section for submitted ebuilds) would be nice. dunno how well that would work with RPM's though. too big?

As much as I would like to contribute, I will NOT deal with yahoo briefcase, it's more hassle than it's worth. Unfortunatley I am too poor to pay for real hosting.

If you know of some free and easy way to get files onto the www let me know, I would even be happy to email them somewhere.

Cheers.

Steve.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_v
    Something along the lines of Gentoo's bug tracker (which has a section for submitted ebuilds) would be nice. dunno how well that would work with RPM's though. too big?
    As much as I would like to contribute, I will NOT deal with yahoo briefcase, it's more hassle than it's worth. Unfortunatley I am too poor to pay for real hosting.
    If you know of some free and easy way to get files onto the www let me know, I would even be happy to email them somewhere.
    Cheers.
    Steve.
    Just send me a priv. message and I can grant you acces to my SCP server so you can send me the packages.