Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi all, I managed to get it working after all the help. They have messed something else up now (think its still with the browser), but now it just wont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi all,

I managed to get it working after all the help.

They have messed something else up now (think its still with the browser), but now it just wont boot up at all, I get to the aspire one screen on it and it just sits there.

Can anyone advise anything or how to reinstall on it to make it all new as I really don't know what they have done to ruin it.

Thanks,

Doomie

Linux User
    Pro-tip: always have two computers, one for backup.

Your hard disk might be broken. Often people complain Linux or some software screwed up their computer, when really it was a hardware problem all along. If it isn't a hardware problem, you can re-install easily.

So what you need to do is use a working computer and download the install image from your favorite Linux (I believe the default for the Acer Apire One was Linpus Lite, which is based on Fedora) then download an ".iso" file and create a boot CD from the ".iso" file.

If you don't have a USB-CD drive, you could download an ".img" file and use the Linux "dd" command to create a bootable USB memory stick, or just use whataver tools are available on the download site to create a live USB stick.

Reboot the computer using the live CD or live USB stick, and you should be able to see if the hard disk was detected and mounted by the OS. If you can see files from the computer's hard disk, then its all OK and you can re-install or fix Linux. If the hard disk is not detected, this is more evidence that you might have a hardware problem.
    Last edited by ramin.honary; 03-24-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Just Joined!
    I have created a USB boot drive and I have tried to run it but when I press default it just comes up with the Linpus Linux logo and a loading bar. The bar doesn't fill and the numlock light just keeps flashing on and off.

Does anyone have any idea about this?

Doomie

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If it were me, I'ld dump linpus and try Lubuntu, antiX, or Legacy OS.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    I have managed to run linux mint 10 straight from a pen drive, I am trying to install it but its just sitting at the install section. I have seen the following though.

end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 15051536

Now that to me as a windows user, it sounds like there is an issue with the drive. Issue I have is its a solid state drive in this notebook (which is built into the main board).

is there a linux program out there that can check the hard drive and report if there are any issues with it?

Thanks,

Doomie

Linux User
    An IO error is very bad news.

/dev/sda is the first SCSI disk. It seems Mint is can detect your drive, but when it tries to mount the drive for reading, the disk reports that there is a data loss from which it cannot recover -- the IO error. Linpus probably had the same problem, but just didn't report the error, it probably failed in the background behind the fancy-shmancy boot screen.

This is almost certainly a hardware problem. The disk is probably damaged beyond repair and needs to be replaced. You will have to contact the manufacturer to get help from here on out.

Its a sad fact of life, but hard disks, even SSD's, fail more than any other device in the computer world. Well, except for maybe power supplies. ALWAYS back up your data, ESPECIALLY if it is on a laptop. I know 4 people, myself included, who have had a laptop hard drive fail on them, all of them on computers from different manufactures.
    Last edited by ramin.honary; 03-25-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Doomie,
    I agree with Ramin.

While you are deciding on a repair / new-computer . . . ,
    Try booting from the pendrive,
    and saving data back to the pendrive.

Here is one thing I have done, that may interest you.
    I commonly boot from a pendrive, which loads the OS into RAM 100%.
    I use an 8 GigByte pendrive, with my OS & data, in place of a HardDrive.
    I made two partitions: (a) OS, (b) Data.
    This method allows reading/writing to the pendrive. No HD required.
    I have even un-plugged / removed the HD, and rebooted !

glene77is

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2