Find the answer to your Linux question:
Basically, I'm hoping to start a little project. I, myself am a Web Developer and create various web-based applications. I'd like to create an entirely online "OS" as it were, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Distro with just a browser?

Basically, I'm hoping to start a little project.
    I, myself am a Web Developer and create various web-based applications. I'd like to create an entirely online "OS" as it were, where you're given a customisable desktop, can browse the internet in web-based 'windows' and so forth.

I was wondering if anything like the following exists, or could be easily created..

A simple linux distro that can be installed onto a hard-drive that boots straight up into a full screen web browser (a custom URL), with nothing else apart from perhaps a menu that allows network configurations, keyboard settings and such to be modified.

Anything that i've come across so far seems to be more than i'm looking for and incorporates a simple UI of it's own. I'm just looking for something to launch straight to a web page.

Any suggestions and help is much appreciated

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

BlueFlops

Check out "BlueFlops" A super-simple 2-floppys distro with browser.

Look in sourceforge.net plus...
    !! nic-nac-project.de ! ~stefan ! blueflops-forum ! index.php

! are slash characters.

The entire thing easily fits into a very small ext2 partition which means time-to-boot-to-web-page will be mere seconds using a quick boot loader.
    I used DOS-based "linld" which can be invoked from anything.
    Last edited by acrizona; 03-16-2011 at 05:50 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Vorth,

I downloaded "BrowserLinux50b2.iso" yesterday.
    It is basically a Browswer Only Puppy, ver. 50b2.

The ISO is on the site along with MijnPuppy.iso,
    which is a very 'fat' Puppy, so to speak.

HTH,
    glene77is

Quote Originally Posted by Vorth View Post
    A simple linux distro that can be installed onto a hard-drive that boots straight up into a full screen web browser (a custom URL), with nothing else apart from perhaps a menu that allows network configurations, keyboard settings and such to be modified.
    Vorth,
    I downloaded and installed TinyCore Linux on several systems, then thought of your post.

You should check out TinyCore Linux, with an OS of 10.6 Megabytes in /tinycore,
    and the FireFox application squash file at 15 Megabytes in /tce.
    The desktop is GUI with a nice pop-up icon bar.
    There is a Application Downloader, filemanager, etc.
    Your posting leads me to believe you will be using a multi-boot loader, like grub4dos or grub2.

If this sounds interesting, then read on.

I downloaded TinyCore Linux, burned the .iso to CD, which booted as a Live-CD.
    I installed it into 10 MegaBytes of a simple subdir in the base of my Ubuntu partition.
    Installed into /tinycore and /tce. The TinyCore subdir contains the linux OS, and any applications download into /tce. Install to HD was a simple copy. I already had grub2 and wrote the script for TinyCore (similar to their example, but in grub2 syntax.

So, the first application I downloaded was FireFox, which stashed its files into a Squash file in the /tce subdir. All downloaded applications deposit themselves into /tce, inside of their own Squash file.

( The TinyCore OS is normally copied as a whole from the CD and into the /root subdir.
    I averted any conflict with /root by copying into a special subdir named /tinycore.
    The /tinycore/isolinux/isolinux.cfg was modified to point to /tinycore. )

On my "sand-box" computer, I installed it into a BootCode only partition, as /tinycore and /tce.
    Grub4dos controls this computer, and I wrote in the calling script, similar to their example.