Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all - I've managed to create a live DVD of Back Track Linux 4, and then installed it on one of the spare Linux partitions in my mess-around-with-Linux computer. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to -> hard wired Internet in Back Track 4?

Hi all - I've managed to create a live DVD of Back Track Linux 4, and then installed it on one of the spare Linux partitions in my mess-around-with-Linux computer. I've also got a version (4.3.1) of Puppy Linux installed.

The Puppy connects right up to the Web after I've configured the Internet connection - but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do the same thing for BT, either on the live DVD or the installed version. What am I missing? TIA!

My setup is:
    sda1=Puppy
    sda2=BT
    sda3=open
    sda4=swap

On a Dell Optiplex 745, using a hardwired (Ethernet) connection.

Laughed while I watched this

Backtrack 4 4 dummies

Not saying you are a dummy. Just thought the video would help and it is funny.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Not saying you are a dummy. Just thought the video would help and it is funny.
    Well, the video IS funny - but I am not trying to use wireless or VMWare, so it doesn't really solve my problem. I just want to use an Ethernet cord.

I know the network card works, as it connects using Puppy Linux. Ubuntu and Mepis Linux auto-connect, Puppy has a Network Setup Wizard - how can I get a plain vanilla Ethernet connection to work in Back Track? Thanks!

You need to know which chipset the ethernet card is using and load the correct module for it. So boot puppy and use the lsmod command to find out which modules are loaded, then boot into backtrack and load those modules with the modprobe command. Restart networking. I've never tried Backtrack so I am not really familiar with it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Give us as root user in terminal
    Code:
     uname -r
    for kernel version of Backtrack 4.

Also a
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    The video shows how to open wicd with sudo and from there there is a connect to ethernet button in wicd gtk. Pretty simple really. Vmware and Wireless are not relevant. But the wicd gui is.

Puppy 4.31 runs a older kernel than Backtrack 4. Maybe the ethernet module for your gear was dropped from the kernel (though I doubt it). Unless it is one of those freaky Marvel chipsets.

A
    Code:
    lspci
    will spit out what chipset your wired card uses.

Code:
    Network:   Card-1 3Com 3c556B CardBus [Tornado] driver 3c59x at port 1800 BusID: 00:03.0
    Code:
    biker:~$ uname -r
    2.6.34-stevo
    Code:
    # ifconfig -a
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:03:86:7f:e9  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
              Interrupt:11 Base address:0x4400 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:Harleys  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:2808 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:2808 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:481429 (470.1 KiB)  TX bytes:481429 (470.1 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:50:dc:7a:60  
              inet addr:Bikers  Bcast:Choppers  Mask:Tattoos
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:29738 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:17758 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:18453317 (17.5 MiB)
    My ifconfig -a edited

I don't run Backtrack either.
    But these Guys do
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Edit/update - silly me - eth1 is on the mobo & eth0 is the pci card. When will I learn to never assume anything, no matter how logical? Off to test B'Track with my new insight...

Thanks to all & especially rokytnji for your help! To clarify, I'm running Back Track in GUI mode, as I did/do 'startx' at the first command prompt when booting. I'm sure there's a way to script this, but I don't know it yet.

In the GUI, I have access to a terminal program via Konsole, and also Wicd. I found the section of Wicd that deals with Eth0 & etc connections. It IS pretty simple, and I set my Eth1 card as the default.

However, when I try and connect, I get 'Connection failed: unable to get IP address" even though I did do the 'Start Network' via Kmenu > Services > Network > Start Network. That path also offers Kmenu > Services > Network > Wicd (both curses & gtk).

I'm not too skilled with the commandline, although as a oldtime DOS user I have no fear of it. Just that GUIs are sometimes easier for me.

Using rokytnji's kindly code:

*No need to become root, as I'm logged in as root in both Back Track and Puppy.
    *Ran 'ifconfig -a' and it recognized two interfaces - Eth0, and Eth1, as there is both Eth1 on the motherboard, and Eth0 as a PCI card. I'm using Eth1 in all cases.

<ifconfig -a (edited) RESULT>
    Listening on LPF/eth0/00:10:18:2f:43:fc
    and it gets the send/receive
    Listening on LPF/eth1/00:1a:a0:bd:a7:68
    also gets the send/receive

Puppy sees the two interfaces as:
    Eth0 = Broadcom BCM5721 Gigbit Ethernet PCI Express / module loaded = tg3
    Eth1 = Broadcom BCM5754 Gigbit Ethernet PCI Express / module loaded = tg3

*Then back to rokytnji's code:

<lspci (edited) RESULT>
    Eth0 = Broadcom BCM5721 Gigbit Ethernet PCI Express / rev 21
    Eth1 = Broadcom BCM5754 Gigbit Ethernet PCI Express / rev 02

In the thread on BT that rokytnji referred me to, one user said:
    Solution for me in BackTrack 4:
    root@bt:~# dhclient eth0

Tried that and it did a bunch of DHCPDISCOVER attempts, and then gave me the prompt that:
    No DHCP offers received
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

MikeTBob suggested finding the needed modules in Puppy, (tg3), and then loading them in BT with modprobe. Tried that, but I don't know modprobe, and the instructions I've found for it are a bit opaque.

I'll crosspost this over to the BT thread - meanwhile, any suggestions? Thanks to all for your help and time!
    Last edited by jhecht; 03-13-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Since I don't use Broadcom chipsets. Mine are mostly Atheros, Raylink, or Realtek. I know MikeTBob runs a broadcom wireless, I do not know if he has the Broadcom Hardwire card though.

Be sure to post in Backtrack Forum the pertitnent info regarding your Broadcom card.

Useful command to use in post at backtrack to provide card info is

Code:
    su -c "hwinfo --netcard"
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Since I don't use Broadcom chipsets. Mine are mostly Atheros, Raylink, or Realtek. I know MikeTBob runs a broadcom wireless, I do not know if he has the Broadcom Hardwire card though.

Be sure to post in Backtrack Forum the pertitnent info regarding your Broadcom card.

Useful command to use in post at backtrack to provide card info is

Code:
    su -c "hwinfo --netcard"
    Nope, not me. I mostly use Atheros too but I just bought a new USB dongle that has a RealTek chip.

It's pretty simple to do...boot puppy and issue the lsmod command
    Code:
    lsmod
    Post the results back here and we'll find the module for you. Once you know which module works correctly all you need to do is us the modprobe command to load it, if it exists on the Backtrack install.
    Code:
    modprobe modulename
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks to all the help from you folks, I was able to figure out a way to do this via the Back Track/Kdesktop GUI.

1 - 'Start Network' via Kmenu > Services > Network > Start Network.
    2 - 'Start Wicd' via Kmenu > Services > Network > Wicd gtk.
    3 - Set Wicd to the correct Ethernet card. With my insight that the mobo NIC was being recognized as Eth1 (don't know why) this was easy.

No other steps needed - I'm typing this from my Back Track install right now. Yay!

Next up is to find out how to set StartX/Start Network/Start Wicd automatically on bootup. There's a post re: that in the BT forum - I'll report back with what I find there. The forum system here won't allow me to post the URl, but the post's title is: How to autologin / auto startx / auto booting - search for it in the BT Forums if curious.

Thanks to all for your help! But what a lot of effort! Makes Puppy Linux seem so effortless - but Puppy is not a network forensic distro, so there are tradeoffs.

It might amuse you all to hear how I started with Back Track. A 'client' came to me to see if he could run it from a live CD, or a dual-boot install on his laptop. He was interested in using B'Track as it was compatible with a WEP cracker program he wanted to use.

Asked why he wanted to crack WEP codes, he said that he traveled a lot, and didn't want to pay for Internet access in hotels. I told him that I wasn't interested in making him a better thief via Linux, and he should find another tech - but it did pique my interest in Back Track enough to install it on my experimental computer.

Just Joined!
    Here are the instructions to set up auto-Startx, and auto-network in Back track 4. They work great!

How to autologin / auto startx / auto booting

this is from (Micked) on the old forum and still works

make you not have to type startx every time you boot, it goes right to desktop.
    Using this on backtrack 4 Pre Final persistent changes.

Code:
    nano /root/.bash_profile
    enter:
    Code:
    startx
    ctrl+o #WriteOut (o=letter, NOT a zero)
    enter #save
    ctrl+x #Exit

all done!! reboot and try it out.

Later in the thread another user suggested adding more options. So I made my .bash_profile file look like this:

start-network
    /etc/init.d/wicd start
    startx
    wicd-client

So now all works automagically. My next question is - why can't I see .bash_profile in the root directory? I know it's a 'hidden' file, but I have 'show hidden files' checked in Konqueror.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast