Find the answer to your Linux question:
ERROR BOOTING: "cannot find CDROM on /dev/hda2". " no KNOPPIX file system ... you are in a bottomless pit ... blah, blah, blah. Problem: old laptop without CD or USB. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with DSL - old laptop

ERROR BOOTING: "cannot find CDROM on /dev/hda2".
    " no KNOPPIX file system ... you are in a bottomless pit ... blah, blah, blah.

Problem: old laptop without CD or USB.
    It does have pcmcia adapter for flash memory card.

On another PC, I copied the 'current CD' DSLxxx.ISO to the flash card, and also extracted and copied the BOOT and the KNOPPIX directories.
    Using the laptop DOS(hda1), I copied the flash-files to hda2(FAT16).

Using the DSL boot diskette, I entered the dsl-command; fromhd=/dev/hda2.
    It loads Linux24 and minirt24 with no problems, and then.... ERROR.

Using another linux-boot-diskette, I copied the BOOT and KNOPPIX folders to hda3 (ext2).
    Same problem. "cannot find on CDROM /dev/hda3".
    What file does it want ? what parameter says CDROM ?
    Any help is welcomed

DSL is a discontinued project. I recommend trying out a currently maintained lightweight distro, such as Antix or Slitaz. (Hmm, main site for slitaz seems to be down at the moment.)

Just Joined!
    Slitaz is one of my favorites. However, maybe I should have said "A very, very old laptop..."
    It is a 486/75 24M ram with 500M disk.
    It works fine with FreeDOS, Win3, Win95, and most all diskette-loaded Linux. Basic DSL will run on a 486 with 24M.
    DSL includes DOSbased boot diskettes. No @#$% GRUB !
    Thanks 4 your input.

Any chance of upgrading to at least 64MB ram? That would open your options up a bit.

Or if you're willing for forgo the GUI, there are projects like ttylinux.

Or, you might still be able to get slitaz going. They have floppy images and while it says the base system requirement is 32MB ram, you might be able to get away with less.

Just Joined!
    I give up. I restored it back to the good old DOS days, and the grandkids are very pleased to have all their favorite games back.
    Just for grins, I copied the DSL-files to a very new PC, and the same error message popped up !
    And for more grins, I burned some new Slitaz CDs and made a 7-diskette boot set. Guess what. It asked for the CD !
    I did notice one thing... My pile of old AOL CDs is still taller than all my Linux CDs.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by acrizona View Post
    ERROR BOOTING: "cannot find CDROM on /dev/hda2".
    " no KNOPPIX file system ... you are in a bottomless pit ... blah, blah, blah.
    Acrizona,
    Check the "http://www.DamnSmallLinux.org" website. v.4.4.10 is the latest I could find.
    The development has not proceeded much further, but there is a forum, and there is an active community.

There was a split amongst the developers, and Shingledecker has developed TinyCore Linux as the next step in development. OSdisc supplied me with a TinyCore OS, and I also downloaded the latest from the web-site.
    "http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/welcome.html"
    Works really good.

That's that!
    glene77is