Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed scientific linux 6 and I need opengl. I need help finding the header files gl.h and glut.h on my system...that is if they are there. Can anyone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help locating file

I recently installed scientific linux 6 and I need opengl. I need help finding the header files gl.h and glut.h on my system...that is if they are there. Can anyone help?

You probably need the freeglut development files. I don't know what the packages are called in SL, but if you do a search you should be able to find them. It's probably freeglut-devel or something similar.

Code:
    yum search freeglut

A quick way to find files (and whether or not you have them in the first place) is to use the locate command. It depends on a database, so it may not be bang up to date, but most distros update the database daily. If the named file is anywhere on your system, its full path will be shown. If you get no output, the file is not there.

Headers are always stored under /usr/include so going there and using the find command is another option.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Just Joined!

next?

well i used the yum search freeglut command and it said:

============================== Matched: freeglut ===============================
    freeglut-devel.i686 : Freeglut developmental libraries and header files
    freeglut.i686 : A freely licensed alternative to the GLUT library

then i searched the user/include area and there were no header files for it.

Linux Enthusiast
    Of course the grand daddie of the tools to find a file is called "find" it is run from the command line. It is very powerful and hence has lots of options. Refer to the man page for it.