Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I looked through the previous posts and didn't see anything similar to this, but my apologies if the issues been addressed before. I installed Yoper 2.4.0-4 on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lost access to windows partition

Hey guys,

I looked through the previous posts and didn't see anything similar to this, but my apologies if the issues been addressed before.

I installed Yoper 2.4.0-4 on a Compaq Armada laptop PIII 600 Mhz with a 30gig hard drive and 340 MBs of ram.

Previously this laptop was running Windows XP Pro on the whole drive which was partitioned using FAT32.

During the Yoper install I resized the FAT32 in qtpartit - my structure looks like this:

hda1 - Fat 32 (17GB)
    hda2 - swap (700 MB)
    hda3 - ReiserFS (~4GB)
    hda4 - ResiserFS(~5GB)

During the installation I was asked whether I wanted to install lilo in "hda" ... so I just said yes.

Now after the installation Yoper runs beautifully , but I cannot boot into the Windows partition anymore. When I choose the option, the start fails because "NTLDR" is missing. I fear that lilo was overwritten over NTLDR?

The second issue is that I cannot mount the FAT32 drive in Yoper - it just doesn't seem to be showing. There is no hda1 anywhere.

ANy help would be appreciated. Btw except for these issues and the display configuration I'm loving this distro.

thanks

-taneem

Edit: here is what my /etc/fstab looks like:

/dev/fd0 /floppy auto rw,exec,noauto,users 0 0
    #/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/ auto ro,noauto,users,exec 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom,--,ro,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=4,mode=620 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda4 / reiserfs notail,noatime 1 1
    /dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda3 /home reiserfs notail,noatime 1 1

Can I just add in /dev/hda1? hm let me try that while waiting for responses...

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the double post, but adding the line for dev/hda1 to my fstab file now lets me access my windows folder .. yippeee

I still can't boot into windows tho.

Linux Engineer
    theres a few things you can try.
    First from "pure" DOS
    with windows floppy or bootable CD
    run FDISK and make sure your primary is set to active

You have to be very carefull with what you do now other wise something could get corrupted..
    a good way to fix this problem, is to "recover" from the Windows XP CD BUT I think that replace the MBR (fixes it anyway) and that could remove Linux from the bootstrap

heres a link for HOW-TO
    http://www.bestpricecomputers.ltd.uk...dr_missing.htm

I really suggest you to read carefully as im pretty sure Doing this action will remove Linux from the BootStrap... you could always put it back after... thats not an issue but I needed to inform you
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Yea if all else fails I'm going to have to do that...

I installed Yoper on two computers with two different configurations and both gave me this same issue so either I am doing something consistently wrong during the install or Yoper is doing something consistently wrong. Likely it's me.

Linux Engineer
    :S I would think that yoper isnt doing anything wrong... but I could be mistaken

if you choose the same options for both computer, it should do the exact same thing on both... which seems to be your case...
    make sure that choose wisely every option and stop the install on an option your not sure and ask people before doing any choice out of the blue...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps