Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Linux Fedora 9.0. But since last three days It is getting very slow. Does it affected by virus? What to do to solve the problem? Thanks in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Linux running Slow

I am using Linux Fedora 9.0. But since last three days It is getting very slow. Does it affected by virus? What to do to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance

Well, first thing we should do is take a look at the running processes on the system and see what is using up all your resources. One of the best programs to achieve this is top:

Code:
    The above will show you a dynamic list of running processes on your system. Try to look for a resource hog. Also take note of your CPU and memory usage. One useful tip with top: Hold shift and use the <, > keys to sort by CPU, MEM ext.

You can output the information into a file or simply copy and paste the results to this thread.

Another useful command that will give similar, though static results and sort it by memory is:

Code:
    ps aux --sort -rss
    The below command will tell us more about your memory usage in megabyes:

Code:
    free -m
    So, try to take note of these things and see if you can find any heavy processes. Feel free to post some of the results to a post so the community can take a look and help you out.
    Last edited by Nagarjuna; 04-02-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    “Things derive their being and nature by mutual dependence and are nothing in themselves.”

You might also look into getting an updated distro, Fedora 9 is ancient and unsupported.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close