Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 on my old Gateway laptop. I have had a hell of a time trying to get Java running and installed correctly. When I install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Auto Start Program - Lucid Puppy

I am running Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 on my old Gateway laptop. I have had a hell of a time trying to get Java running and installed correctly. When I install it through QuickPet or the Package Manager everything seems to be running correctly but I cannot find the Java program under the /mnt/home/jre1.6.0_22 folder.

I also have a program (Gmote remote server - to control the laptop with my Android phone) that I would like to start automatically when the laptop boots.

I have tried putting a link (relative and absolute) in the "Startup" folder. Neither make the Gmote program start. When I run the link from the "Startup" folder from the terminal console, I get the error message: "# Exception in thread 'main' java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/gmote/server/GmoteServerUiLinux". However, if I start GmoteServer.sh through the GUI, it starts up fine.

I am at my wits end. I am not well versed in Java or linux. I am fairly certain that this will be an easy fix but I do not know where to look anymore. I would greatly appreciate some help.

Compare gui startup command with your startup command symlink you put in startup folder. For finding java. Puppy comes with search tools like pfind or whatever. I am not on my Puppy Laptop right now to check the name but it is in menu somewhere.

which java
    which java may find the launch command directory for you also. Like I said. Not in Puppy right now so location may be different for you.

Code:
    $ which java
    /usr/bin/java
    ~$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_20"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.7) (6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1~10.04.1)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)
    I am not familiar with your

Gmote remote server - to control the laptop with my Android phone
    either so not much help from me there also.

Good Luck with it.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I appreciate the reply.

So I figured out how the whole running the .jar with Java.

I still have a little problem. There is a Startup folder in the root directory of Puppy that should automatically run a program after X loads (quoted). My problem is now that I can put the .jar program or a symlink in the Startup folder but it does not load at startup. I can load the program through the symlink by clicking on it though. I'm not sure where to go from here.