Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i know it's stupid (don't laugh on me, folks, please) but i did not find many info about prelink and wanted to know about new stuff that i install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Prelink screwed up?

Ok, i know it's stupid (don't laugh on me, folks, please) but i did not find many info about prelink and wanted to know about new stuff that i install by myself - do i need to prelink it, or it's automatic? So i did a stupid thing: prelink --all, without asking anyone. Since then the system doesn't start as fast as it was and some programs too. Like UT 2003, that started fast and worked good but now i need to wait sometimes a few minutes before it loads a map and see some freezing in menus etc. Or XMMS that segfaults sometimes. My questions are:
    1. Why it happened? I mean what is it's "mechanics".
    2. Way to fix it? I don't like an idea of reinstalling my system, but maybe it's only way...
    3. If anyone knows a good resource providing information about prelink, please post it here, i want to learn.

Just Joined!

Re: Prelink screwed up?

prelink --all shouldn't screw up your system - it's a cronjob that should come with Yoper by default anyway (at 0 o'clock every day)
    check it out with:
    #crontab -l

so I guess you must have screwed up something else

Just Joined!
    Thank you for reply, michux. I'll try to search for errors, in system logs maybe. By the way, here's an output of crontab -l :
    Code:
    0 0 * * * /usr/sbin/prelink --all --ld-library-path=/usr/lib/mozilla
    0 1 1 * * /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
    Why --ld-library-path is /usr/lb/mozilla? Doesn't it need to be /usr/lib?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by z-vet
    Thank you for reply, michux. I'll try to search for errors, in system logs maybe. By the way, here's an output of crontab -l :
    Code:
    0 0 * * * /usr/sbin/prelink --all --ld-library-path=/usr/lib/mozilla
    0 1 1 * * /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
    Why --ld-library-path is /usr/lb/mozilla? Doesn't it need to be /usr/lib?
    Look at your /etc/prelink.conf - it states there which libraries should be prelinked by default. In crontab it adds mozilla libs to the path. You could change /etc/prelink.conf to include mozilla as well, and then modify crontab entry, cuz it wouldn't need to explicitly add mozilla path anymore.