Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a slackware user, but soon I'll be getting a brand new gateway laptop with much faster celeron processor than what is currently in my 5 year old gateway desktop... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Questions from a possible new Yoper user...

I'm a slackware user, but soon I'll be getting a brand new gateway laptop with much faster celeron processor than what is currently in my 5 year old gateway desktop... with this in mind, I have a few questions regarding Yoper, since it may become my OS of choice on my new computer.

1. I know it says that it supports slackware pkg files, but does this mean I can use the ultra-easy pkgtool command?

2. is wireless internet supported? (I believe it's centrino technology, no crazy brand of wireless card)

3. Will I have to mount my CD drives and such, or will Yoper do this for me, ala MDK?

4. Will it still be as secure as the current Slackware that I'm using?

any help will be GREATLY appreciated

Just Joined!
    I've never tried slackware, nor do I know how much you know about linux, but I still may be able to help with a couple of the questions. I have yoper installed in my Dell Inspiron with built in wireless (but not centrino).

1. yoper apparently supports all kinds of binaries from different distros, and has some way of converting them to rpm, but I haven't had to use anything but synaptic and the supplied repositories. synaptic is a GUI for apt-get, and i'm not sure how it compares to pkgtool, but synaptic is certainly easy (as is apt-get).

2. I spent hours trying to get my wireless to work with an access point I picked up at a school auction only to find that the AP was bad. I am positive that if the AP worked, my laptop would have had working wireless. The bad news is that there is no easy, graphical set up to make the wireless work. It has to be done using commands like iwconfig and/or modifying some network config files. More bad news is that the excellent yoper forums are down. The good news is that even with setting up the wireless through command line it's not that hard, and the excellent yoper forums, once they are up again, have all the info needed (some posted and linked to by me). By the way, yoper automatically detected my wireless hardware; all I had to do was learn how to configure it.

3. I've had strange problems with mounting in both yoper and Fedora Core 2. The only distro I've used that had really good supermounting was MDK. I think supermounting in yoper is functional, as I don't have to mount my flash drive when I plug it in, and it automatically recognizes audio cd's, but I have to play with it sometimes to get it to read certain data cd's. could be a hardware issue, but I've been using the same hardware since my winslows and MDK days, and there used to be no issues with this. By the way, I recently found that when you put an audio cd in the drive and go to "audio cd browser" it gives the information on the disk in folders separated by desired audio type, such as ogg, mp3, wav, cda, etc, and to rip the cd all you have to do is drag the folder of the desired type, and it rips it on-the-fly in that format to the dragged location. do other distros do that? I was very impressed by this, but other distros might do this too.

4. I'm not sure that slackware has any big security advantages over other distros, but because just using linux makes me feel more "secure" than MS, I don't really get too security-minded when it comes to linux. However, a quick google found this from http://linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php...c=3564&forum=2

'The kernel is secure and the guys at Yoper have tried to produce one of the easiest but most secure desktop distros around. Firewalling is set up by Kmyfirewall, which is VERY good, although you do need to know something about iptables to get the best out of it, but just 5 clicks of the mouse will set up a usable firewall script for you. Kgpg is also standard for those who with to sign/encrypt/verify emails with GPG. "

Happy yoperating, should you choose to do so.

Just Joined!

Re: Questions from a possible new Yoper user...

Quote Originally Posted by taking_the_music_back
    1. I know it says that it supports slackware pkg files, but does this mean I can use the ultra-easy pkgtool command?
    Yes, you can simply: installpkg package
    The recommended installation method though is RPM and apt-get.

2. is wireless internet supported? (I believe it's centrino technology, no crazy brand of wireless card)
    With Yoper's devel version (2.2.x) ndiswrapper is installed by default
    Otherwise, you've got to install it yourself

3. Will I have to mount my CD drives and such, or will Yoper do this for me, ala MDK?
    Depends. By default it automounts CDs, doesnt automount floppies and other devices. You can easily change that using yoperconf or editing /etc/fstab

4. Will it still be as secure as the current Slackware that I'm using?
    Right now, the repositories haven't been updated for a while which results you don't get a secure system by default. Hopefully it will change as soon as the server issue is finally resolved.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close